Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Headache City  (Read 11985 times)

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
Headache City
« on: July 24, 2012, 09:49:49 am »
I go to a brewpub from time to time that has some pretty good beers, one even took an award recently. Thing is, every time I drink there, without fail, I wake up with crushing headaches the next morning. It's a bit of a drive so I limit myself to 3 pints (not even remotely in hangover territory for me) and I'm not the only person who has noticed the headaches. 

I understand fusel alcohols can cause headaches, but I don't detect any solventy, or hot alcohol off flavors. No off flavors of any sort come to think of it.

Any ideas what might cause this?

"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Headache City
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 10:11:29 am »
The only thing I can think of is they ferment warm to push the beers to completion faster.  A lot of breweries and brew pubs do this. Perhaps they cover the solventy notes with hops and other flavors or perhaps the notes are subtle. Hard to say for certain what it may be.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Headache City
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 10:22:04 am »
I have no clue, but there is one beer from a brewery close to me that gives me headaches every time I drink a few.  It's a scotch ale, and not really my favorite style.  But, whenever I have it from this particular brewery, I wake up with a headache.  None of my friends ahve any problem. 

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 10:23:28 am »
There is a beer from a brewery in St. Louis that gives me a headache if I drink more than one. ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 10:41:34 am »
You do not need to detect the fusels for them to be there and work their evil magic. :(
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 10:52:32 am »
There is a beer from a brewery in St. Louis that gives me a headache if I drink more than one. ;)

That's funny, there's one from Milwaukee that does the same to me...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 11:00:22 am »
I've found that pretty much any beer with rice in it can give me a headache. Perhaps you have an allergy to one of their ingredients they use?
Phoenix, AZ

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 01:27:20 am »
My wife gets headaches whenever she drinks beers from Bridgeport Brewing, with the exception of a Belgian beer they used to do - I suspect it is something their yeast throws, because she doesn't have problems with other breweries beers.  But it's possible that it was the fermentation temp and the Belgian strain doesn't produce the same stuff at the higher temp.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 06:52:00 am »
I've found the headaches from fusels come on quickly, within 10 minutes typically, of drinking. And they seem to hit me mostly in the temples.  Is that the kind of headache you get?  I've stopped judging Belgian homebrew flights because too many people seem to think this is a desirable character  >:(

If you aren't sure of the cause, you can try to preempt them by drinking lots of water and taking ibuprofin and mega vitamin B complex before you go to bed.  Many times headaches are simple dehydration.  Ibuprofin helps with the headaches and vitamin B helps your liver break down the alcohol.  This is basically my NHC Survival Guide.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 06:55:11 am »
A brew pub here in Indy that specializes in Belgian styles gives me headaches everytime I have some of their beers.  They are tasty, but I could do without the side effect.  I do not typically pick up fusel, hot, or alcoholic notes in those beers, but they must be there.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Headache City
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 07:41:21 am »
along with what Tom is saying, my wife get's itchy (her skin, just in case someone wants to put an innuendo in there ;) ) after she drinks a particular Belgian Strain. I wonder if this is not something similar to what is happening in your (DrewG's) case.

Fusels never bother me until the next day, though. I never have experienced a head ache as quickly as Gordon as mentioned.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 07:45:38 am »
Worst headache I've ever had - Granite City Brewpub in Sioux Falls, SD.  Had two IPA's and woke up in the middle of the night with a splitting headache.  It was before I knew about fusels etc but I'm betting that's what it was.  Otherwise, I've only ever had the "over-indulgence" headache.

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 07:49:29 am »
I've found the headaches from fusels come on quickly, within 10 minutes typically, of drinking. And they seem to hit me mostly in the temples.  Is that the kind of headache you get? 

Those are exactly the kind I get, although never that quickly. I follow the vitamin B, water and Ibuprofen regiment too, and it certainly helps. 

I know they have a cold room for the fermentors (plastic drums) but I'm positive there is no temp control on the fermentors (such as they are) themselves.

I wonder if this is not something similar to what is happening in your (DrewG's) case.

I don't have any food allergies, and it doesn't seem to matter which beers I drink there, which made me think it might be process related. That and the fact that other people are experiencing the same headaches. Then again, anything's possible
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 09:21:50 am »
Please do not take Ibuprofen after drinking. Water and B-complex and something sugary before bed will work. Alcohol is already hard on the liver- you don't want to throw Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen or Aspirin on top of alcohol habitually or you may end up regretting it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 09:41:42 am »
Please do not take Ibuprofen after drinking. Water and B-complex and something sugary before bed will work. Alcohol is already hard on the liver- you don't want to throw Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen or Aspirin on top of alcohol habitually or you may end up regretting it.

Basically gatorade/powerade, no?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!