Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cali Common question  (Read 2876 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Cali Common question
« on: July 22, 2012, 02:37:16 pm »
I've brewed a Cali Common for the first time. Due to a last moment change in plans and a ramped up brewing schedule I won't be able to turn my freezmenter down to 50* because I'm putting two new batches of ale in there at 60*!

The Cali Common has finished fermenting and I'm wondering is it necessary to do the 2 weeks at 50*...? Can I bottle this beer first, carb for a few days at room temp and then cold condition it? Or would it be better to do this on the yeast in primary and then bottle? I can move it to my kegerator for a couple weeks regardless.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
Re: Cali Common question
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 03:38:29 pm »
I brewed one in the spring. Had the temperatures in the low 60's(F). Bottled and conditioned in a cellar at 68. Took four bottles and put them in the refrigerator for 6 weeks for a couple of contests: placed 2nd in one and 3rd for the state fair.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 10:30:29 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I ended up putting the bucket in the kegerator and will bottle in two weeks. It'll be easier than six weeks in the bottle! Good to know that it will work well the way you described it. May have to utilize that approach at some point!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 08:26:37 pm »
Let us know how it turns out.  I've been tossing around the idea of a Cali Common and was wondering how important it was to let it sit in low temps for the last couple of weeks. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:58:44 pm »
I will. Can't seem to get the quite out of the 40's but don't expect that will hurt anything. ;D

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 03:12:14 pm »
Let us know how it turns out.  I've been tossing around the idea of a Cali Common and was wondering how important it was to let it sit in low temps for the last couple of weeks.

I've now brewed my Cali several times and only concern myself with temperature during the first week of active fermentation. I shoot for 58-60F until all signs of active fermentation are done and then let it finish at ambient for two weeks which in my room is about 66F. They have all turned out wonderful with no off flavors and very clean and clear.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010