Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fryer for boils  (Read 7804 times)

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
Fryer for boils
« on: July 25, 2012, 12:05:02 pm »
I am switching to all grain and therefore want to be able to do full boils. Through my research on the internet I saw that most of them come with 7.5 gallon pots. I have heard/read that boil overs will happen a lot and that I should get a bigger pot. I would like to save some money on buying a seperate pot so does anyone know where I can get a bigger pot that comes with a propane fryer for a decent price? Links would be appreciated.

Offline anday6

• Cellarman
Re: Fryer for boils
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 02:07:56 pm »
I used a 7.5gal fryer pot for a long time before upsizing my pot.  There were a few boilovers, but with a lot of attention and using some anti-foam (fermCapS) that problem can be dealt with.

It was just another step in the progression in upgrading my equipment.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 02:26:39 pm »
You could do 3 gallon batches until you get a larger brew pot.  I'm currently doing 3 gallon batches until I upgrade some equipment. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 07:50:33 pm »
I use a 7.5 turkey fryer pot most of the time (if I'm not using the 15 gal SS ;D).

To over come boil-over I run about 4 gallon in the pot and the rest (~2-1/2 gallon) in another container. Immediately after the hot break I dump the remainder of the wort in the boil kettle and then get a "mini break" and then start the time.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 06:54:46 am »
I am switching to all grain and therefore want to be able to do full boils. Through my research on the internet I saw that most of them come with 7.5 gallon pots. I have heard/read that boil overs will happen a lot and that I should get a bigger pot. I would like to save some money on buying a seperate pot so does anyone know where I can get a bigger pot that comes with a propane fryer for a decent price? Links would be appreciated.

You can find a 15G aluminum kettle on Amazon for about $100.  Stainless is a little more.
Dave Zach

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 07:19:14 am »
With 5 gallon batches you'll be starting the boil with 6-6.5 gallons. 1-1.5 gallons of headspace sounds like a lot, but in reality this is only 2-3 inches of space. You must pay really close attention to avoid boilovers.

That said, I used one for years and paid close attention at hot break - never had a problem. Now I have a much larger pot that I can relax with - and I've had a few boilovers because I'm not paying attention at the right time.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 07:42:02 am »
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 08:31:14 am »
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 08:41:09 am »
This came up on homebrewfinds.com the other day:
10 gallon aluminium pot for $42 shipped.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CHKL68/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=hombrefin-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001CHKL68

WOW!  Not that he needs anything this big but there is only a $10 difference between the 50QT and the 80QT.

That's a great price on the 10G, for sure.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 01:29:56 pm »
I use a turkey fryer and the 7.5 gallon aluminum pot it came with. I have had 3 or 4 boil overs in my 15 batches, and it always happens when life is getting in the way. If I need more than 6.5 gallons pre-boil, I boil the overflow in a pot on my stove top, and add it back into the boiling wort somewhere near the end.

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 09:57:28 am »
I have read a lot about Fermcap S and it seems I'll pick some up and try it with a 5 gallon batch I have planned. If it works great, I'll keep brewing up 5 gallon batches. If it doesn't work to my liking I'll just make smaller batches. Smaller batches means more chances to brew. But from what I read it works fairly well.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 10:00:06 am »
Fermcap is great if you're lacking headspace.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 11:17:00 am »
Since I found out that Fermcap is supposed to be filtered out, I've cut way back on my use of it.  For instance, I've gone back to using a spray bottle of water to control the boil.  I"ll still use it when I have to, but I use as little as possible and avoid it if I can.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 09:31:16 pm »
Since I found out that Fermcap is supposed to be filtered out, I've cut way back on my use of it.  For instance, I've gone back to using a spray bottle of water to control the boil.  I"ll still use it when I have to, but I use as little as possible and avoid it if I can.

Where did you hear that?
AHA Member since 2006