Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pH meter with ATC automatic temperature compensation  (Read 3703 times)

Offline oly

• Cellarman
  • beervana
pH meter with ATC automatic temperature compensation
« on: August 08, 2012, 05:17:32 pm »
I'm reading with interest the thread over in all grain, "regarding optimal mash pH ". A lot of the disussion over there is about temperature of the measurement.

I didn't want to de-rail that thread so I'll ask here: my Hanna pH meter has ATC. What does this mean in practice?  Is it supposed to mean that I can read a pH at elevated temp, say 140F, and it will correct it for what it would read at room temp? That is, if i start reading at 140F and let it sit there over time (in an ice bath) and let it drift down to room temp, that the reading should not change?

Just curious. I normally let my sample cool first so as not to confuse things, but it would be nice to know.

narvin

Re: pH meter with ATC automatic temperature compensation
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:07:43 pm »
I'm reading with interest the thread over in all grain, "regarding optimal mash pH ". A lot of the disussion over there is about temperature of the measurement.

I didn't want to de-rail that thread so I'll ask here: my Hanna pH meter has ATC. What does this mean in practice?  Is it supposed to mean that I can read a pH at elevated temp, say 140F, and it will correct it for what it would read at room temp? That is, if i start reading at 140F and let it sit there over time (in an ice bath) and let it drift down to room temp, that the reading should not change?

Just curious. I normally let my sample cool first so as not to confuse things, but it would be nice to know.

ATC only corrects for error in the probe at temperatures other than what it is designed for.  Without it, you'd have to use a chart.  This is separate from the fact that the pH actually changes with temperature changes, so you will still get a different reading with your meter at mash vs. room temp.

http://www.eutechinst.com/techtips/tech-tips4.htm

Offline oly

• Cellarman
  • beervana
Re: pH meter with ATC automatic temperature compensation
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:11:24 pm »
Thanks for that reply and link Narvin. Just the info i was looking for. Couldn't find anything related on the Hanna site.