Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Twist-tops  (Read 2748 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Twist-tops
« on: August 04, 2012, 01:09:15 pm »
I've asked this before and I'm pretty sure I know the answer I'm gonna get but I am having a really hard time finding "pop" top bottles at something even close to a reasonable price.  I don't wanna pay $1 per bottle for new bottles and not get them back to re-use.

So, is there any capper that can be used to cap screw tops?  I can get new screw tops for $0.15 per bottle which is obviously a lot better.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Twist-tops
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 01:28:54 pm »
I would use my regular wing capper. Then test the tightness by twisting in the on-direction. When I first started back brewing I had to use a lot of twisties until a sufficient amount of pry-offs were collected. The primary problem is that the glass is thinner than regular bottles so is inclined to break. I'd lose one every batch or so.

Otherwise the twisties work just fine for holding carbonation. 
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 03:10:00 pm »
One thing I should add is that in Canada, we have a great re-use system for bottles so I think that screw-top bottles used here are much thicker walled than the bottles used in the US which are primarily single use bottles. 
I don't have a wing capper, I have a bench capper but I'll get a wing if that'll work. 
Is there any difference in the cap at all?  Anyway, I think I'm sort of forced to give these a try because I have to bottle up 5 cases worth for an event and there's no way I can (or want to) get that many used pop-tops and wash them all etc.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 06:56:06 pm »
I don't have a wing capper, I have a bench capper but I'll get a wing if that'll work. 
Is there any difference in the cap at all? 

I've always heard that, if you're going to use twist-offs, a bench capper actually works better.

Any reason you have to buy bottles?  Can't you just drink enough beer that comes in non-twist-offs to build up a goodly supply?
Joe

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 07:55:41 pm »
I'm doing 6 cases of beer for an event (it's as much about the labels as the beer so I can't do kegs).
So, I need some bottles.  Plus, now that I've been home brewing a lot for the past couple years, I just don't buy much beer anymore. 
Also, since this is for an event, I don't want to risk a dirty bottle. 
I have some pop tops that I'll reserve for the few competitions I go in cause I don't want to risk screw offs for that.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 06:53:22 am »
I've heard that regular caps and a caper will work on screw top bottles, but never tried it myself.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline the_pig

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 10:46:42 am »
This is good to know.  I have always believed that you couldn't re-cap twist off bottles.  And my wife still drinks a beer that comes in those.  I will be giving this a try soon.