Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pliny water  (Read 8353 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Pliny water
« on: July 25, 2012, 07:21:52 pm »
I'm brewing the pliny clone listed here: http://farmhousebrewingsupply.fmtemp.com/ProdImages/1Pliny%20the%20Elder%20clone%20PDF-1.pdf
(seems to be the same as the one in Zymurgy)

Anyway, after reading several posts on water profiles for this beer I've come up with this (using RO water as a base so just ignore the "existing water profile" listed):

Going up to 300 or 350 ppm sulfate scared me.  :-[ But I read that the SO4/CL ratio for this beer should be really high, like 7.

I started with Tasty's profile and changed what I thought should change to bring sulfates down to 200 while keeping SO4/CL near 7.

Am I over thinking this? Should I just use his additions and not worry? When I first entered them the estimated mash ph was 5.1.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Pliny water
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 06:58:42 am »
I can attest to Tasty's water profile making a PHENOMENAL IPA. I have been drinking my house IPA using his water profile for the first time and man can I taste the difference. I urge you to try it!

EDIT: AFAIK this is profile Randy Mosher uses as well.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 07:35:19 am »
I can attest to Tasty's water profile making a PHENOMENAL IPA. I have been drinking my house IPA using his water profile for the first time and man can I taste the difference. I urge you to try it!

EDIT: AFAIK this is profile Randy Mosher uses as well.

Well, then I'll just go with it and not worry.  :D  Yes, I also read that about it being what Mosher uses.

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:36:55 pm »
I'm pretty sure Greg Noonan wrote that he used 700 ppm sulfates for his IPA. I'll check the book when I get home.

I think 400 ppm isn't too much. I REALLY enjoy the minerally, tight bitterness in my IPA at this level. I thought about experimenting with even higher levels.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/