Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Your Top 4 Hefeweizens?  (Read 20282 times)

Offline arsenal610

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Inspector
Your Top 4 Hefeweizens?
« on: July 25, 2012, 08:34:37 pm »
So I've tried Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier enough to make it my favorite Hefeweizen. Here's my review on it for those that would like to watch it.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1r28vysOUw

Here's the rest of my list:

2.Franziskaner Hefe Weisse
3.Sierra Nevada Hefeweizen
4. Hofbrau Hefe weisse

What are your Top 4 Hefeweizens?

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Your Top 4 Hefeweizens?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:44:44 pm »
I like your top three in order, but I would put Dry Dock Brewery's Hefe at the top.  I may be a little partial to Dry Dock's since I live about 7 minutes away, but I do have to say their Hefe is the best I've ever tasted.  Granted, I'm getting their Hefe very fresh compared to the others so that may be a little unfair.  I pick out slightly more banana than clove, but a good balance of the two.  Not that it matters too much, but Dry Dock's Hefe has won a gold in 2011 and two silvers at the 2010 & 2009 GABFs.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 09:26:08 pm »
For me it's:
Schneider Weisse
SN Kellerweis
Weihenstephan
Julius Echter
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:23:27 am »
Leaving out mine . . .  ;D

In no particular order, Maisel's, Weihenstephan, Schneider, Franziskaner
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 06:55:02 am »
A fresh Weihenstephaner is so far ahead for me that I don't even bother thinking of another three.  I guess I like Paulaner and Franziskaner if I can't find a Weihenstephaner, but I'm not happy substituting.  I like Schneider a lot, but it seems kind of dark.  It's a fairly unique beer, an amber hefe.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 08:01:30 am »
+1 to all of the above, but Ill add Flying Dog's to the list. I get it very fresh here as well, so that may be why, but its a great hefe.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 08:19:50 am »
The best Hefes I've had were fresh Germans.  My favorites:

Weihenstephan
Schneider
Paulaner
Ayinger
Mark

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 10:01:06 am »
+1 to all of the above, but Ill add Flying Dog's to the list. I get it very fresh here as well, so that may be why, but its a great hefe.

Yeah, I just tried the In-Heat Wheat this spring for the first time and I'm a big fan.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 12:16:23 pm »
In Heat Wheat was my favorite domestic wheat until they moved back East. It just doesn't taste the same now, but it might just be that it doesn't travel well.

Dry Dock's Hefe is great, but they have a very small distribution so I doubt you'll see it outside Denver anytime soon.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 12:46:37 pm »
Now, I am no expert on Hefeweizens, but here is my list. In no particular order.

Ayinger
Schneider-weisse
Weihenstephan

And, it may not count, because it is a Kristalweizen, but Black Raven's Sun Thief over here in Redmond got me back into drinking wheat beers, after one too many American "Hefeweizens".

Offline arsenal610

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Inspector
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 01:56:59 pm »
Great lists guys.   

I didn't realize Flying Dog had a Hefeweizen.  I went to there website(http://flyingdogales.com/beers/#/The+Pack/In-Heat+Wheat) and it says it's available year round.  I'm hoping my store has this!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Your Top 4 Hefeweizens?
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 02:13:24 pm »
A lot of time the imported German hefeweizen are far from fresh. I believe franziskaner in particular is pasteurized, and one of my least favorite. Schneider is one that is very good when fresh. Erdinger on draft is very good when fresh.

Not mentioned on the list above: Troeggs Dream Weaver HefeWezien is one of the best domestic weissbiers you will find. It rivals some of the best German hefeweizens IMO.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:25:08 pm by majorvices »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 02:35:04 pm »
Weihenstephaner is by far my favorite but I also like the next three listed as a good substitute.

Weihenstephan
Schneider
Paulaner
Ayinger

Ron Price

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 02:39:42 pm »
Great lists guys.   

I didn't realize Flying Dog had a Hefeweizen.  I went to there website(http://flyingdogales.com/beers/#/The+Pack/In-Heat+Wheat) and it says it's available year round.  I'm hoping my store has this!

The original recipe was made by Eric Warner of German Wheat Beer fame. I don't know how they've tweaked it over the years, or with the move to MD. Circa 2007 their beer was solid, especially In Heat. That was the last year they brewed in Denver. Last year at my local liquor store I found a couple 4-packs of 2007's Gonzo Imperial Porter and I bought all of them. They were probably the best commercial beer I've ever had.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Your Top 4 Hefeweizens?
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 08:58:41 pm »
Wow. You need to try more commercial beers. ;)