Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Your Top 4 Hefeweizens?  (Read 20281 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Your Top 4 Hefeweizens?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 06:25:23 am »
The commercial beer selection in Missouri is really bad outside of St. Louis and KC. Like, really awful. Sam Adams awful.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 06:41:09 am »
The commercial beer selection in Missouri is really bad outside of St. Louis and KC. Like, really awful. Sam Adams awful.
I'm pretty lucky in that there are plenty of liquor stores with a great craft beer selection around me. My only problem is that the freshness level is dubious at most of them. I've pretty much given up on IPA's from a lot of them. It's nice to find 3-year old barleywines on the shelf. It's not so nice to find 3-year old hefe's or DIPA's. I happened upon a bottle of Avery Maharaja the other day that I really wanted to grab, but my spidey sense went off and told me it would be a big waste of money. Went home with some gueuze instead.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 07:31:54 am »
I'm pretty lucky in that there are plenty of liquor stores with a great craft beer selection around me. My only problem is that the freshness level is dubious at most of them. I've pretty much given up on IPA's from a lot of them. It's nice to find 3-year old barleywines on the shelf. It's not so nice to find 3-year old hefe's or DIPA's. I happened upon a bottle of Avery Maharaja the other day that I really wanted to grab, but my spidey sense went off and told me it would be a big waste of money. Went home with some gueuze instead.
A 3 year hefe stored too warm.  There are a few stores by me with this problem too. The selection in some have been incredible, but the freshness terrible.  Most of these places must store their beers at too warm a temp.  Nothing worse than buying a hard to find beer and finding out its bad when you go to drink it. 
Mark

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Your Top 4 Hefeweizens?
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 07:33:21 am »

LOL. Sorry, man. That was a smart ass thing for me to say. We were in the same boat here for a long time. Now we get just about everything. That said, I have always travelled a lot so I have had the chance to try many beers.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 07:47:34 am »
LOL. Sorry, man. That was a smart ass thing for me to say. We were in the same boat here for a long time. Now we get just about everything. That said, I have always travelled a lot so I have had the chance to try many beers.

When I lived in Denver we could get a ton of imported (overseas and from distant states) beers, but the local breweries were so good I usually just got something from one of them. But now that I live in MO and there are a total of three good breweries in the state, I miss that variety.

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 10:09:31 am »
Dry Dock
Ayinger
Franziskaner
Hofbrau

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 11:30:05 am »

I stock up on Lagunitas, Tallgrass, and Bear Republic when I go to St. Louis.

I often find 6-packs of Schlafly that are a week old in grocery stores (stored cold!).

Indy is gaining, both in local breweries and new accounts. We lost DFH last year. That one hurt.

I would throw Dancing Man Wheat from New Glarus in the mix of my fav. 4. GREAT beer.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 09:24:14 am »
Schneider - This is by far the best in my opinion, if I'm going to drink this style, this is my go to.
Weihenstephaner
Ayinger
Paulaner
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline brianselvy

• 1st Kit
  • Oro Valley, AZ
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 03:52:17 pm »
This is an old topic, but I was searching for hefeweizen recipes and this also came up, so I thought I would reply.  I agree that the German heferweizens that you get over here in the states just don't taste the same as what you get over in Germany on tap.  Maybe its the pasturization or just being old.  I don't know.  That being said, there are a few from the U.S. that are dang good.  One of my favorites, Mothership Wit, from New Belgium is no longer in production, though.

1. Sierra Nevada Kellerweis
2. New Belgium Mothership Wit (RIP)
3. Oak Creek Hefeweizen (Sedona, AZ)
4. Schneider Weiss
5. SanTan Hefeweizen (Chandler, AZ)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 04:10:44 pm »
I had a Hefe from Urban Chestnut in St. Louis that was fantastic. Their distribution is super small, but if anyone passes through St. Louis, check them out.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 06:47:32 am »
I had a Hefe from Urban Chestnut in St. Louis that was fantastic. Their distribution is super small, but if anyone passes through St. Louis, check them out.

+1000. This brewery is small but amazing. I love going to the brewery (they have a lot of German influence, even a beer garden), but recently their 4-packs and mix packs of pint bottles have been showing up in the Indianapolis market. I would make EVERY beer in that mixer a go-to (including the hef).
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

narvin

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 07:04:11 am »
Wouldn't Mothership Wit be... a Belgian Witbier?  I never had it but I don't think it was a Hefeweizen.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 08:09:47 am »
Schneider - This is by far the best in my opinion, if I'm going to drink this style, this is my go to.
Weihenstephaner
Ayinger
Paulaner
  +1.   I think Schneider is by far the most distinctive.

1.  Schneider Weisse
                    2.  Weihenstephaner
                    3.  Ayinger
                    4.  Franziskaner
Jon H.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 08:53:54 am »
Wouldn't Mothership Wit be... a Belgian Witbier?  I never had it but I don't think it was a Hefeweizen.

Yeah, it was kind of a weird one. Typical wit spices, but with Hefe-type yeast character. The spices were pretty subtle, IIRC, so I can see how one might lump it in with Hefes.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 08:55:45 am »
+1000. This brewery is small but amazing. I love going to the brewery (they have a lot of German influence, even a beer garden), but recently their 4-packs and mix packs of pint bottles have been showing up in the Indianapolis market. I would make EVERY beer in that mixer a go-to (including the hef).

Yeah, I loved their Zwickel. Cloudy Bavarian lager. Definitely unusual but delicious.