Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stuck Fermentation - Best Course?  (Read 8320 times)

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Stuck Fermentation - Best Course?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 03:01:36 pm »
Just curious....was it reading low or high?

In my fermentation chamber (chest freezer) I run the controller probe in the the air in close proximity to the fermenter.  I have a Taylor probe thermometer I run down a thermowell to check my beer's temperature.  It's always been off, but a fixed off - about four degrees high.  I got some high readings at first, but I attributed it to the raging fermentation I got at the start, so I lowered the freezer.  After becoming suspicious of the readings, I checked them with the Johnson's probe (which is way more accurate).  Come to find out the "off" interval of the Taylor had changed on me  >:(  I ended up fermenting the first couple of days two or three degrees below the yeast's optimal range.  I corrected the temperature and let it free rise back up to ~68.  Not sure if that is part of my problem or not.  I'm starting to think WLP013 might be a little finicky and my manhandling of it didn't help.

The other possibility is that I mashed at 155, which, for my system, is a little on the high side.  I blindly (read maybe stupidly) followed the recipe (from a BYO replicator).  Wondering if that wasn't a bit too high.

Honestly, at 1.022 it's not that terribly high for a 1.065 porter. I could see why you would want it a few points drier psychologically but realistically you should taste it once it is carbonated and make a decision then. I've had beers finish high before that I considered dumping but once they were carbonated I fully enjoyed them.
That is definitely a good pint, Keith.

Besides, I like bludgeoning myself through drinking a batch that wasn't it's best.  It's a good way to make sure I don't make stupid mistakes again  8)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Stuck Fermentation - Best Course?
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 03:46:39 pm »
Besides, I like bludgeoning myself through drinking a batch that wasn't it's best.  It's a good way to make sure I don't make stupid mistakes again  8)

Pouring out 5 gallons is a pretty good lesson, as well. 
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton