Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Infrared thermometer for carboy?  (Read 4946 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Infrared thermometer for carboy?
« on: July 27, 2012, 06:49:31 am »
I'm wondering if you can use an infrared thermometer to read the temperature of fermenting beer in a carboy (through the glass). I can't think of why it wouldn't work, unless the thermometer needs an opaque surface for an accurate reading. Anyone do this?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Infrared thermometer for carboy?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 09:19:20 am »
I used to use one on my buckets. Seemed to work OK but was never confident that it was accurate.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 11:59:36 am »
IR thermometers are really picky. To be accurate, you need a non-reflective, black surface.

When working at a chemical plant, we painted black spots on each tank to measure their temps with IR. The same could be done on your carboy. A few strips of electrical tape might do the trick.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:27:16 pm »
IR thermometers are really picky. To be accurate, you need a non-reflective, black surface.

When working at a chemical plant, we painted black spots on each tank to measure their temps with IR. The same could be done on your carboy. A few strips of electrical tape might do the trick.

Good info!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 01:16:04 pm »
I love my infrared gun, but I've yet to trust it for anything aside from mash.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 01:26:11 pm »
I use mine for AC vents etc. After experimentation I've found it to be useless for the mash since you need to read the interior not the surface- which won't read true. Always significantly off (cooler).
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 02:02:06 pm »
I figured reading a hot wet surface is even more problematic because of evaporative cooling at the surface.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 02:22:32 pm »
I use a Fluke 62.  It's not nearly as accurate as a lab thermometer but gets you in the ballpark.  A non-reflective surface is best.

Check out this thread.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=11213.msg139441#msg139441
Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 02:36:02 pm »
Infrared thermometers see the infrared color of the surface they're measuring, and interpret that color as a temperature.  The more in focus the surface being measured is, the more stable the readings will be.  Not necessaily accurate, but good for trending, and especially finding heat leaks.

As euge said, internal temperatures are problematic.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907