Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Hoarder  (Read 9580 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Hop Hoarder
« on: July 27, 2012, 07:32:10 am »
Hello.

My name is Eric and I'm a lupulin addict.

I finally came to terms with the fact that I have a problem last night. I opened my most recent AHS order last night and found 6 ounces of Calypso that I totally forgot I ordered. I currently have at least 14 hop varieties in my freezer that I have 3 oz or more of, a few more straggler open packs, and 3 more varieties being delivered from NB as we speak.

I haven't even been brewing for a year yet, so I never really experienced any of the big hops shortages, but I've heard a lot of the old war stories. Whenever I see a new hop variety that sounds interesting I end up ordering half a pound in case I really like it and it's not there next time I want it. I've spent the past month or two chasing down whatever AUS/NZ hops I could get my hands on just because I may want to use them in my IIPA in a couple of months and I'm afraid they might be sold out everywhere by then. I just got an email from Rebel Brewer the other day saying that they had Topaz in stock and I felt like a drug dealer was waving crack in my face. I know the next time I place an order with Rebel there will be several ounces of Topaz tacked on.

A couple of weeks ago I bought 8oz of a new experimental hop variety (Caliente) just because it was a new experimental hop variety. I opened it up to repackage it and took a whiff. It didn't really smell like much of anything, and I got that feeling like I dropped 20 bucks on a lottery ticket and lost - kinda bummed, but instantly thought "maybe next time".

Thankfully hops are (relatively) cheap, and wanting to experiment with hops is what got me into homebrewing in the first place. Still, I'm accruing hops way faster than I could possibly brew with them. Anyone else have this problem, or should I check myself into Humulus rehab?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
Re: Hop Hoarder
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 08:12:06 am »
Admitting that you have a problem is half the battle. I am sure there are people on this site that would relieve you of some of your habit! Take care.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 08:54:40 am »
I bought a pound of Willamette a year or so ago. I think I've still got more than half left. I don't really remember why I bought them. Hopsdirect can be dangerous.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 09:18:33 am »
I won't admit I have a problem yet, but my garage beer fridge/freezer can't hold any more hops. There's currently a conflict brewing between food and hops in the house freezer. And fall harvest isn't too far away.
Mark Gres

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 09:26:33 am »
i'm with you bro.  i've got a drawer full of different hops in the freezer.  probably four or five pounds and a dozen different varieties.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 09:27:37 am »
I'm storing over 20 lb. of hops....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 09:35:11 am »
I won't admit I have a problem yet, but my garage beer fridge/freezer can't hold any more hops. There's currently a conflict brewing between food and hops in the house freezer. And fall harvest isn't too far away.

I'm up to four freezers. 2 for food and 2 for beer. Hops have already moved to the food freezer .......WTHeck...beer is food...why should there even be a conflict. I think I just solved another problem :)
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 09:36:16 am »
Don't hops go bad? Do you hoarders use vacuum sealers? I just put them in ziplocks and try to get as much air out as I can.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 09:44:34 am »
Don't hops go bad? Do you hoarders use vacuum sealers? I just put them in ziplocks and try to get as much air out as I can.

I vacuum seal them and keep them in a freezer.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 09:45:53 am »

+1
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 09:52:41 am »

+1

Myself as well.  I've got well over 8 lbs of hops in the freezer.  Plus frozen wort for starters.

Sometimes the hops fall down behind something in the back and get lost for awhile.  Then I order more of that variety.  Then I have to brew more.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 09:58:50 am »
So if you keep them sealed do they stay good indefinitely? Do you portion them out and seal them in increments, or just reseal the bag after you use them?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 10:28:09 am »
So if you keep them sealed do they stay good indefinitely? Do you portion them out and seal them in increments, or just reseal the bag after you use them?

Indefinitely is a long time!  I've got pellets that are 4-5 years old and still good.  I put them in big bags and reseal them after I take some out.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 10:32:41 am »
I do the same as Denny.

A couple years ago I split some bulk hops into smaller bags (2 - 3 oz) and that also worked well.  A lot more work, though, and I'm not sure there is a huge benefit to it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 10:54:50 am »
I just made an IPA with Cascade hops that I grew two or three years ago and they were still good and the beer came out great. I vacuum sealed them and stored them in the freezer.
Mark