Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Schedule  (Read 3686 times)

Offline mikeroni

• 1st Kit
Hop Schedule
« on: September 04, 2012, 10:49:53 am »
In the past few weeks I have been having fun brewing a pumpkin and a holiday porter but I need an IPA back in my life. Looking to do…

1oz CTZ 90min
1oz Warrior 60min
1oz Amarillo 10min
1oz Simcoe 5 min
1oz Citra 0min

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Hop Schedule
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:55:50 am »
In the past few weeks I have been having fun brewing a pumpkin and a holiday porter but I need an IPA back in my life. Looking to do…

1oz CTZ 90min
1oz Warrior 60min
1oz Amarillo 10min
1oz Simcoe 5 min
1oz Citra 0min

I would think about doing your last three additions at flame-out and hop stand for 10 minutes.  Also, I would reserve .5 oz from each of Amarillo, Simcoe and Citra for a 1.5 oz. dry hop.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:58:35 am »
Can you explain the reasoning behind using both a 60 and 90 min. addition?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mikeroni

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 12:30:13 pm »
I was trying to get the most out of the CTZ, but that’s also why I posted to see others opinions and gain some more knowledge. 

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 12:58:12 pm »

1oz CTZ 90min
1oz Warrior 60min
1oz Amarillo 10min
1oz Simcoe 5 min
1oz Citra 0min

I would think about doing your last three additions at flame-out and hop stand for 10 minutes.  Also, I would reserve .5 oz from each of Amarillo, Simcoe and Citra for a 1.5 oz. dry hop.
...and per Denny's point (if I'm interpreting correctly) you could just use the Warrior for First Wort Hop and a 90 minute boil then add the CTZ toward the end of the boil as a flavor charge.  IMHO that would give you "more" from your CTZ.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline mikeroni

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 01:02:48 pm »
.and per Denny's point (if I'm interpreting correctly) you could just use the Warrior for First Wort Hop and a 90 minute boil then add the CTZ toward the end of the boil as a flavor charge.  IMHO that would give you "more" from your CTZ.

Thanks for the input.  When would you add them?

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 01:28:40 pm »
.and per Denny's point (if I'm interpreting correctly) you could just use the Warrior for First Wort Hop and a 90 minute boil then add the CTZ toward the end of the boil as a flavor charge.  IMHO that would give you "more" from your CTZ.

Thanks for the input.  When would you add them?
If you do the flame out and dry hop additions with your Amarillo/Simcoe/Citra for aroma, I would add the CTZ at either 10 or 5 minutes remaining for flavor.
BTW- what size batch are we talking here?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline mikeroni

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 01:32:30 pm »
Makes sense, 5 Gallons

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 01:44:24 pm »
I was trying to get the most out of the CTZ, but that’s also why I posted to see others opinions and gain some more knowledge.

There's so little increase in hop utilization between 60 and 90 min. that I consider it negligible.

Re: Pinski's advice....if you do that, it will leave you without a 60 min, addition.  although I FWH a majority of the beers I do, I still use a 60 min, addition for bitterness.  For me, I don't get enough "sharp" bitterness with FWH only, especially in an IPA.  Here's what I'd do...

1oz Warrior FWH
1oz CTZ 60min
1oz Amarillo 10min
1oz Simcoe 5 min
1oz Citra 0min

Be sure to recalculate the IBU fpr the recipe to be sure you're getting the right amount for your IPA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

coastsidemike

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 12:08:18 am »
I've changed from a hop schedule that has intervals like 60, 30, 10, 5, 0 minutes to 60, 20, 8 minutes based on this chart:

http://brewjournal-dvg.blogspot.com/2011/01/hop-utilization.html

So far, I'm getting very good results on aroma and flavor for specific hops with the change, specifically for a style like IPA.   Saving the 0 min flame-out addition for dryhop.

That image is posted all over the internet, anyone know of it's roots?

Cheers.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 07:34:27 am »
That chart has been around for a time, and is good in concept but poor in practice. I have never seen where it originated, or back up references.

The flavor and aroma curves don't exactly fit what some say is best. I get great flavor and aroma from whirlpool additions, for example.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!