Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 12/16oz Bottle Taste Difference  (Read 5335 times)

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
12/16oz Bottle Taste Difference
« on: July 20, 2012, 04:57:18 pm »
So I'm about 10 batches into my brewing journey and I've noticed a distinct difference in quality of my 16oz ez cap versus normal 12 oz bottles. The 16's typically carb faster and taste better than the 12's, and the 12's typically taste "meh". Has anyone had any experience with this and have any recommendations?

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
Re: 12/16oz Bottle Taste Difference
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 05:42:21 pm »
I've never had a situation like this, although I generally always opt for bombers (less work!).  Are you filling the bottles in any specific sequence?  Maybe pulling more sediment into the bottles you're filling last?  I assume you're storing them all in the same place w/o light?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 05:59:22 pm »
That was going to be my question as well. Is there anything different about the bottles besides volume? 

If you are filling the 16's first you might not be mixing your priming sugar well and more is going into the first set of bottles.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 06:30:58 pm »
Maybe that's it. Now that I think about it, I've been filling the 16's first. I wonder if me trying to avoid splashing/oxidizing the beer caused the priming sugar to not be correctly mixed...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 09:25:04 pm »
Gently stir with a sanitized spoon after you rack into your bottling bucket. It really makes a huge difference. I also purposefully leave my racking hose long and let it coil along the side of the bottling bucket. This way the beer being racked over swirls into the priming mix.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 11:18:38 pm »
I pour my sugar solution into the beer after draining about 2 quarts into the bottling bucket. The solution is still quite hot and it will mix more readily.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 05:18:32 am »
Thanks for the advice. I'm bottling a pale ale next week and I'll try it out.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 09:13:58 pm »
I had carbonation consistency problems until I started stirring the priming sugar in the bottling bucket.  Other than that I've never had a difference between bottle sizes.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 08:44:52 am »
I pour my sugar solution into the beer after draining about 2 quarts into the bottling bucket. The solution is still quite hot and it will mix more readily.
I do this too. I also use my autosiphon I used to rack into the bottling bucket to stir the beer periodically while bottling. I had carbonation inconsistencies until I started stirring too.

I also use 12oz and 16oz bottles for the same batch and dont notice any difference.

Edited to add last sentence(and this one).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 08:51:40 am by Delo »
Mark