Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question about decoction mashing  (Read 11415 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Question about decoction mashing
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 09:52:34 am »
... lets just say the last time I made one it was missing that malty component that I taste in German Dunkels. ...

How old was the beer when you tasted it?

I have found that a significant part of that deep "malty" flavor we get from doppelbocks and other dark beers has more to do with age than mashing.

Kai

Look who's back!  Good to hear from you, Kai.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2012, 11:46:50 am »
Update
Everything went fairly smooth today.  First, hit my first rest a little high 136 instead of 132.  After I added the decoction back to the main mash I was a little low 146 instead of 152 so I pulled out a thin mash (2 qt) and boiled it and then added it back to get it up to 153.  Next, pulled a thin part of mash and boiled added to the main mash and got 167.  Hit my target OG 1048, the color looked great, and it smelled wonderful.  Thanks for all the help!

Dan
Dan Chisholm

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: Re: Question about decoction mashing
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2012, 06:16:57 pm »
It was not aged very long and that brings up a good point.  I did not lager it properly with it being held @ 38 for 2 weeks after primary.

It has less to do with lagering as with aging at cellar temps. Give it 2-3 month and you'll notice some of the "dark" are starting to come out.

Kai

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 09:03:05 am »
Update
Everything went fairly smooth today.  First, hit my first rest a little high 136 instead of 132.  After I added the decoction back to the main mash I was a little low 146 instead of 152 so I pulled out a thin mash (2 qt) and boiled it and then added it back to get it up to 153.  Next, pulled a thin part of mash and boiled added to the main mash and got 167.  Hit my target OG 1048, the color looked great, and it smelled wonderful.  Thanks for all the help!

Dan
How long was your protien rest? What's your water like?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Online dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Re: Question about decoction mashing
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 09:16:37 am »
It was not aged very long and that brings up a good point.  I did not lager it properly with it being held @ 38 for 2 weeks after primary.

It has less to do with lagering as with aging at cellar temps. Give it 2-3 month and you'll notice some of the "dark" are starting to come out
Kai
Yes, I'll have to be more patient this time...My protein rest was for 30 min. and I used the water profile from Kai's site
Dan Chisholm