Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saison Temp  (Read 2743 times)

Offline scottgott01

• Cellarman
Saison Temp
« on: July 29, 2012, 03:39:06 pm »
Brewing my first Saison with WLP568. I don't have the means to raise my temp to 85-90 degrees. Would it be alright to let it ferment out at appx 75 degrees?
Belfrey Cross Brewing

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Saison Temp
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 04:52:21 pm »
White Labs lists the optimum ferment temp at 70-80*F. Why do you think you need to raise it to 85-90*F? FWIW if I'm using an ale strain for the first time, I ferment at 60* and adjust up or down if necessary for future batches.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Saison Temp
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 05:46:35 pm »
You'll be absolutely fine. I like to start the strain out around 64-66 degrees and let it ferment cool a couple days and then ramp the temp up in the high 70s. But your temps will be fine. I think a lot of us have discovered that the best results with saison and belgian strains are no where near as high as some have recommended. I know saison du pont ferments some of their beers into the 90's but my best results have never gone that warm.

Offline scottgott01

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 06:37:28 pm »
Yes, I've heard that. I figured it would go good at 75, just sometimes when I talk about it people start bringing up stalled fermentations and the usual crap.
Belfrey Cross Brewing

Offline andrew000141

• Assistant Brewer
Saison Temp
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 08:25:12 am »
I agree with the statement that you dont need to ferment saisons as high as suggested. I made a saison not too long ago and I fermented it around 66 and it turned out fantastic.
Fermenting:
Cherry melomel

In Kegs:
Saison
Irish Red
Thanksgiving Cider
Rye Pale Ale
IIPA
Ayinger Maibock clone
Moose drool clone

Bottles:
Mead

Keep your nose out of trouble and no trouble will come to you

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 08:28:17 am »
IM also in the cooler is better boat. I start around 64 and ramp to mid-high 70s to finish out with great results.  Just make sure your wort fermentability is good to get proper attenuation for the style, the Belgian strain can be a bit finnicky.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 09:36:58 am »
Yes, I've heard that. I figured it would go good at 75, just sometimes when I talk about it people start bringing up stalled fermentations and the usual crap.

In the experiment I ran last year for the NHC, I found that starting the strain high and forcing it hot is a recipe for a phenol and fusel bomb (aka, you don't want to do it). I definitely advocate starting the wort cold like 63-65 and then letting it free rise to where it will in the ambient.

Also, no airlock. Just a piece of foil. The saison strains are sensitive to back pressure and an airlock increases the chance of a stall.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 10:12:44 pm »
You get plenty of saison character starting at a lower temp. I do try to push it higher at the end of fermentation, but that's only if I need to to get it to finish in a reasonable timeframe.
Mark Gres