Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Long week  (Read 3222 times)

Offline frankie j.

• 1st Kit
Long week
« on: July 29, 2012, 10:01:32 pm »
Well this week started off a little different from others. Instead of driving by St. Mary's Hospital on my way to work at the UW Wisconsin Madison, Monday, I swung in with mild chest discomfort. And ended up being released today after having bypass surgery. Other than being in some mild but controllable pain, I was a little upset that our family vacation would have to be cancelled, but that can always be rescheduled. But I will have to take my hat off to my Lovely Woman for being there for me and doing some things that allot of other people wouldn't or would have troubles doing. But on a lighter note 2012 German Fest Stein Challenge Judging wrapped up today in Milwaukee Wisconsin, (which was another event we missed this week do to health problems) anyway the Kolsch I entered placed 2nd, so besides having a great Ole Lady I had a brew take 2nd 
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Long week
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 11:17:56 pm »
Wow, scary stuff.  Take care of yourself.  Glad you're doing ok.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:43:22 am »
Congrats on the kolsch.  Glad to see you are still on the green side of the grass.  Heart issues are nothing to sneeze at.  I had three stents put in 12 years ago.  Diet and exercise are very important.  Take care of yourself.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 09:55:41 am »
Wow, man. glad you decided to stop and get it checked out!  I've had a couple cardiac incidents over the years and now I'm waiting to hear about some other issues.  Don't screw around with your health!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 10:02:54 am »
Glad to hear you are doing better. Scary stuff. There will be other vacations.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 11:16:30 am »
Scary is right.  Glad you stopped in to get checked out.  Your health is nothing to mess with.  Like Euge said there will be more vacations!
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 02:37:20 pm »
What kind of discomfort was it?  I'm paranoid because heart disease runs in the family and I just turned 50.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 03:49:30 pm »
What kind of discomfort was it?  I'm paranoid because heart disease runs in the family and I just turned 50.

For me it was an irregular heartbeat, racing heart, cold sweat, weakness, fighting to keep from losing consciousness.  I never experienced the crushing pain I hear about.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline frankie j.

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 04:49:30 pm »
Have to agree with I never had any of the typical signs they warn you about, it was slight tightness in my chest, then felt like I had a couple of tooth aches and some quick sweating
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 07:24:01 pm »
It can be mild discomfort or downright elephant on the chest pain.  Sometimes jaw or neck pain- generally persistent.  One other thing that could be present - a feeling of deep dread.  It's been 7 years since I survived a 99% blockage of the widowmaker (LAD) and I would wish it on no man.  If you can catch the problem before a heart attack you can sometimes avoid the major re- plumbing by meds, diet and exercise, and still have a few beers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 07:59:06 pm »
Thanks for sharing getns.  Just asking because I've felt kind of a pulled muscle sort of thing around my left shoulder for some time.  Probably just an actual pulled muscle.  I don't know about dread but I do worry about this.  My old man had a stent at 54 and at 57 died of a heart attack, never made it to a bypass.  He burned both ends of the candle for a long time though, and was on a number of meds.

Glad to hear beer can be a part of post-attack life too.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 01:46:39 am »
My mom died of a coronary when she was 56 (and I was 15 :-/) and her dad died of a coronary when he was 60-something. I'm 28, and sometimes I have skipped beats (which, strangely enough, taking vitamin supplements seemed to fix), I also get the occasional feeling of pressure and 'dread,' but I think I can rack that up to panic attacks. Switching jobs has helped, as has moving to a standing desk instead of being seated 8 hours a day. My LDL levels are only slightly elevated, so I can't say that it's necessarily anything really bad just yet. But I've cut back on beer significantly and am working hard to incorporate more exercise and less stress in my life. I don't want my kids to have to deal with what I dealt with when I was their age.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 09:36:17 am »
Well this week started off a little different from others. Instead of driving by St. Mary's Hospital on my way to work at the UW Wisconsin Madison, Monday, I swung in with mild chest discomfort. And ended up being released today after having bypass surgery. Other than being in some mild but controllable pain, I was a little upset that our family vacation would have to be cancelled, but that can always be rescheduled. But I will have to take my hat off to my Lovely Woman for being there for me and doing some things that allot of other people wouldn't or would have troubles doing. But on a lighter note 2012 German Fest Stein Challenge Judging wrapped up today in Milwaukee Wisconsin, (which was another event we missed this week do to health problems) anyway the Kolsch I entered placed 2nd, so besides having a great Ole Lady I had a brew take 2nd

Glad your doing good dude.  Medical s*** can be scary.  I have a smiliar story.  I entered a fairly large local competition in early 2011, and had volunteered to steward the comp.  About a week before the judging, I had an anyurism burst in my skull, and spent the next month in a local neoro ICU.  My (now fiance') had to call and let them know I couldn't show.  But, I took 1st in the American Amber catagory.  I entered the same recipe, but different batch this year, got scores in the low 40's, but didin't even place.  Oh well.

I hear what you're saying about having a good woman by your side through this crap.  She is the one that actually is the owner of the pico-brewery we just opened.  I'm just her slave employee.  LOL.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 11:02:38 am »

Glad to see you're still with us.
I didn't judge your Kolsch, but tasted it in Mini-BOS...really nice work, thanks!