Author Topic: Saison Temp  (Read 1331 times)

Offline scottgott01

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Saison Temp
« on: July 29, 2012, 02:39:06 PM »
Brewing my first Saison with WLP568. I don't have the means to raise my temp to 85-90 degrees. Would it be alright to let it ferment out at appx 75 degrees?
Belfrey Cross Brewing

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
  • Aachen, DE
    • View Profile
Re: Saison Temp
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »
White Labs lists the optimum ferment temp at 70-80*F. Why do you think you need to raise it to 85-90*F? FWIW if I'm using an ale strain for the first time, I ferment at 60* and adjust up or down if necessary for future batches.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
Saison Temp
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 04:46:35 PM »
You'll be absolutely fine. I like to start the strain out around 64-66 degrees and let it ferment cool a couple days and then ramp the temp up in the high 70s. But your temps will be fine. I think a lot of us have discovered that the best results with saison and belgian strains are no where near as high as some have recommended. I know saison du pont ferments some of their beers into the 90's but my best results have never gone that warm.
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline scottgott01

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 05:37:28 PM »
Yes, I've heard that. I figured it would go good at 75, just sometimes when I talk about it people start bringing up stalled fermentations and the usual crap.
Belfrey Cross Brewing

Offline andrew000141

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Saison Temp
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 07:25:12 AM »
I agree with the statement that you dont need to ferment saisons as high as suggested. I made a saison not too long ago and I fermented it around 66 and it turned out fantastic.
Fermenting:
Cherry melomel

In Kegs:
Saison
Irish Red
Thanksgiving Cider
Rye Pale Ale
IIPA
Ayinger Maibock clone
Moose drool clone

Bottles:
Mead

Keep your nose out of trouble and no trouble will come to you

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 07:28:17 AM »
IM also in the cooler is better boat. I start around 64 and ramp to mid-high 70s to finish out with great results.  Just make sure your wort fermentability is good to get proper attenuation for the style, the Belgian strain can be a bit finnicky.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline dbeechum

• Administrator
  • Brewmaster General
  • Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 08:36:58 AM »
Yes, I've heard that. I figured it would go good at 75, just sometimes when I talk about it people start bringing up stalled fermentations and the usual crap.

In the experiment I ran last year for the NHC, I found that starting the strain high and forcing it hot is a recipe for a phenol and fusel bomb (aka, you don't want to do it). I definitely advocate starting the wort cold like 63-65 and then letting it free rise to where it will in the ambient.

Also, no airlock. Just a piece of foil. The saison strains are sensitive to back pressure and an airlock increases the chance of a stall.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 09:12:44 PM »
You get plenty of saison character starting at a lower temp. I do try to push it higher at the end of fermentation, but that's only if I need to to get it to finish in a reasonable timeframe.
Mark Gres