Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: a couple questions from a newbie  (Read 1935 times)

Offline james1116

• 1st Kit
a couple questions from a newbie
« on: February 10, 2010, 01:10:00 pm »
This is my second batch of beer.  The first one went pretty smooth.  My second batch seemed like a comedy of errors.  I brewed a  witbier.  It is this witbier that I have a couple worries/questions about.  After struggling through the brewing process I put 5 gallons of wort in the fermenter and went to bed.  In the morning when I checked on it, it had started fermenting.  A 2 inch head of foam and bubbles through the blow off tube.  Well, its 10 days later and there is still a layer of foam on the wort and I have noticed any bubbles in the last 5 days and the wort has a slight greyish color in it. (the grayish color may be my imagination)  Just wondering if this is normal for a wit?  My second question: I ferment in an unheated garage in a freezer with a heater in it.  Well the heated got unplugged and this morning when I noticed it the temp was down to 40 f.  Is this going to have an adverse effect on the beer?  thanks for any help

James

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: a couple questions from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 02:15:14 pm »
The temp is likely your main problem.  You've put the yeast to sleep.  Get the temp back up into the low-mid 60's and rouse the yeast and you should be fine.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline james1116

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 02:30:00 pm »
I probably jumped the gun on this one.  I brought the carboy inside to warm it up and it has been a little over an hour and the temp is up to 60f and I see bubbles coming up from the yeast cake.  Thanks

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:34:03 pm »
Might want to give the carboy a gentle swirl or two to get the yeast back up into suspension.  Glad it cooking again for you.  ;)
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 12:52:15 am »
My second batch seemed like a comedy of errors.

Been there brother. It gets better. And worse.

Belgian yeast are funny critters. I didn't brew a Wit but a Saison a while back. I pitched at 90F and let it rip with no control. A great deal of the yeast never dropped out but remained... cork-like and bobbing on the surface of the beer. The Saison was a hit.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis