Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Are 30 minute hops worth it?  (Read 13140 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Are 30 minute hops worth it?
« on: July 30, 2012, 12:19:58 pm »
A homebrew club member is designing an IIPA recipe with hops at 60, 30, 20, 10, 5, and 0 minutes. It made me wonder - what are 30 minute hops for? I never use them and I always figured that at 30 minutes you're blowing out all of the flavor/aroma and not getting the full bittering potential out of them either. Is the bitterness from 30min hops different, or are we better off sticking with 60 and finishing hops?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Are 30 minute hops worth it?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 12:24:58 pm »
From what I have read, 30 minutes is the upper limit for flavor hops.  I like the 30 minute addition myself.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 12:31:10 pm »
Usually I use 60min, 10min, and 0min hops. I'll use 20min hops instead of 60min sometimes.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 12:46:56 pm »
A homebrew club member is designing an IIPA recipe with hops at 60, 30, 20, 10, 5, and 0 minutes. It made me wonder - what are 30 minute hops for? I never use them and I always figured that at 30 minutes you're blowing out all of the flavor/aroma and not getting the full bittering potential out of them either.
I'm of the same school of thought on the 30 minute addition. I'm pretty much using 60 minute and flameout hops, plus a flavor addition at either FWH or somewhere in the 10-20 minute range. I can't see much use adding hops anywhere else in the boil.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 12:54:31 pm »
Depends on the beer, and what you are trying to do. 30 Minute additions are said to give the most glycoside development from the polyphenols. These aid mouthfell and flavor. The bitterness utilization is still fairly high, and the flavor is said to still be there.

If you look at some of the recipes from Vinnie Cilurzo and Matt Bryndilson, those use additions at 30 minutes. Those are some good beers.

Look at the latest Zymurgy and you will see recipes that that use hops at 60 and 0, and the ones that use hops all the way through.

I think late hops are fine, but the production breweries will use additions at flameout and then whirlpool for best flavor and combine that with dry hopping for aroma.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 01:00:42 pm »
I generally add hops for 60, 20, 5 and at flameout.  It seems to me that 30 minutes adds more IBU's but may boil away volatile flavor compounds.  Of course I have no real data about it, but somewhere back in my distant pass I read that 20 minutes is ideal for flavor(I think I remember a published graph somewhere).
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 02:06:13 pm »
Depends on the beer, and what you are trying to do. 30 Minute additions are said to give the most glycoside development from the polyphenols. These aid mouthfell and flavor. The bitterness utilization is still fairly high, and the flavor is said to still be there.

If you look at some of the recipes from Vinnie Cilurzo and Matt Bryndilson, those use additions at 30 minutes. Those are some good beers.

Look at the latest Zymurgy and you will see recipes that that use hops at 60 and 0, and the ones that use hops all the way through.

I think late hops are fine, but the production breweries will use additions at flameout and then whirlpool for best flavor and combine that with dry hopping for aroma.

+1

Often I feel too narrow a view is taken of what hop additions contribute and at what times. If you think no flavor is imparted at 60 minutes or no ibu's at 0 for a hop stand or no flavor from dry hopping, I would call that completely false.  30 minute additions have a place and are not a waste. It depends on your tastes and what you are trying to achieve. FWIW the 2 most important additions for any hoppy beer I make are FWH and Dry hops. Take notice of Union Jack recipe- more dry hops than wort hops are used.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 04:04:58 pm »
Any of you guys ever read the "Roving Brewer" articles by Eric Watson on the Beer Tools website?
He has some pretty different views on hopping as well as yeast. I'd be interested in your comments about what he writes on both issues, but for this thread at least about hopping. He sez never FWH. Whadya think?

FWIW, I just did an APA on Saturday with a load of 30 minute hops and 15, 10, 0 as a kind of experiment. It will be dry hopped as well. I'll let you know how it goes.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 04:14:00 pm »
Any of you guys ever read the "Roving Brewer" articles by Eric Watson on the Beer Tools website?
He has some pretty different views on hopping as well as yeast. I'd be interested in your comments about what he writes on both issues, but for this thread at least about hopping. He sez never FWH. Whadya think?

FWIW, I just did an APA on Saturday with a load of 30 minute hops and 15, 10, 0 as a kind of experiment. It will be dry hopped as well. I'll let you know how it goes.

+1.  Don't knock it until you try it.  I like a 30 minute addition in my APA's, I hope you will as well.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 04:33:12 pm »
Given there is no sense of taste without the sense of smell, is it even possible to add aroma without adding flavor?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 05:09:48 pm »
Given there is no sense of taste without the sense of smell, is it even possible to add aroma without adding flavor?

To answer that we'll need to talk about how "flavor" and "aroma" are reified concepts perceived through a prism of imperfect language and cultural expectations. I'm not sure how useful that'd be in this case.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 05:55:38 pm »
i've recently been incorporating 30 minute hops into my hop-centric beers.  seems to bring something more.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 07:50:14 pm »
+1 I think a 30min addition rounds out my APA's nicely. It all comes down to your preference and style though.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 08:06:42 pm »
Its a good way to get some bitterness from your flavor addition.

Ive been playing with hop additions lately and either using 30 min as my main bittering addition or swapping the 30 min addition for a FWH addition.

The latter gives (IMO) similar to more hop flavor and reduces the total hop mass.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 08:13:05 pm »
all hops are worth it! ... nuff said!
Phoenix, AZ