Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Are 30 minute hops worth it?  (Read 13158 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Are 30 minute hops worth it?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 08:44:07 pm »
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7238&nojs=1
Here's the chart my alcohol ruined brain remember seeing.  There was a source and article associated with it at some point.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 06:39:46 am »
Any of you guys ever read the "Roving Brewer" articles by Eric Watson on the Beer Tools website?
He has some pretty different views on hopping as well as yeast. I'd be interested in your comments about what he writes on both issues, but for this thread at least about hopping. He sez never FWH. Whadya think?

Well, he says FWH is detrimental to head retention, but he doesn't explain why that would be.  And I haven't found that to be the case in my beers.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 07:08:58 am »
The great thing about brewing: There's no "wrong" way to do it.
The awful thing about brewing: There's no "wrong" way to do it.

Do people use 30min additions to make good beer? Sure. There are lots of ways to make good beer. Is the beer good because of the 30min hop addition? I doubt it. In a blind tasting between a beer with a 30min and a 20min hop addition, all other things equal, I doubt most people could tell the difference.

I think you should pick a method that works for you and stick to it so you can get consistent results.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 07:14:27 am »

Do people use 30min additions to make good beer? Sure. There are lots of ways to make good beer. Is the beer good because of the 30min hop addition? I doubt it. In a blind tasting between a beer with a 30min and a 20min hop addition, all other things equal, I doubt most people could tell the difference.

I think you should pick a method that works for you and stick to it so you can get consistent results.

I agree with this.

Then there are the ones that say that 30 is bad because you don't get much bitterness, then sing the praises of all additions 20 min on. I know you get more flavor, but the utilization is even less.

I have been doin my Cream Ale with no hops in the boil. All go in at flameout with a long whirlpool. Of course I am doing it wrong and there should be no bitterness acording to some.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 07:25:50 am »
Depends on the beer, and what you are trying to do. 30 Minute additions are said to give the most glycoside development from the polyphenols. These aid mouthfell and flavor. The bitterness utilization is still fairly high, and the flavor is said to still be there.

That is pretty interesting.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 07:27:31 am »
Any of you guys ever read the "Roving Brewer" articles by Eric Watson on the Beer Tools website?
He has some pretty different views on hopping as well as yeast. I'd be interested in your comments about what he writes on both issues, but for this thread at least about hopping. He sez never FWH. Whadya think?

I just read some of it. He definately has some good and/or different ideas about yeast. Haven't found anything on hops yet.

Here is the link.
http://www.beertools.com/html/articles.php?view=245
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 08:03:59 am »

Well, he says FWH is detrimental to head retention, but he doesn't explain why that would be.  And I haven't found that to be the case in my beers.

When I read his articles I am really taking everything with a grain of salt. He seems to be coming from the standpoint of trying to translate what German breweries are doing in their production and applying it to homebrew scales. I don't think that Weihenstephan's experience with FWH necessarily applies to my APA's.

I take advice that has been extrapolated from the practice of large breweries with a grain of salt, because things just don't always scale to homebrew practice well. We have a lot more freedom because our primary endpoint is almost solely quality-focused, rather than economic.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 09:08:39 am »
We have a lot more freedom because our primary endpoint is almost solely quality-focused, rather than economic.

I'd say the endpoint of homebrewing is "enjoyment" rather than quality. "Expectation effects" have a huge impact on perceived enjoyment. If you FWH and you're convinced it makes your beer better, you will perceive beers you FWH to be better. We all want to be right and we want to confirm our biases. Since beer is so subjective and we're so invested in the beer we make, it's really easy to enjoy the beer we make. This is why no one makes "bad" homebrew.   

I really like that guy's articles and I agree with most of what he says. FWH doesn't make a tremendous difference in quality (if any) but it does require hops, which cost money. Even if FWH does make a slightly better beer, on an industrial scale it'd be better to omit and save the money.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 09:30:04 am »

+1 here.  The only thing I would add is the 30 minute hop addition makes it different than the 20 minute, 10 minute, whirlpool, etc..  How do you know whether you like it or not until you try it?  Brew the same APA with a 30 minute instead of a 10 minute addition and compare them side by side.  That's the great part of this hobby for me, the experimentation.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 09:44:19 am »
We have a lot more freedom because our primary endpoint is almost solely quality-focused, rather than economic.

I'd say the endpoint of homebrewing is "enjoyment" rather than quality. "Expectation effects" have a huge impact on perceived enjoyment. If you FWH and you're convinced it makes your beer better, you will perceive beers you FWH to be better. We all want to be right and we want to confirm our biases. Since beer is so subjective and we're so invested in the beer we make, it's really easy to enjoy the beer we make. This is why no one makes "bad" homebrew.   

I really like that guy's articles and I agree with most of what he says. FWH doesn't make a tremendous difference in quality (if any) but it does require hops, which cost money. Even if FWH does make a slightly better beer, on an industrial scale it'd be better to omit and save the money.

-1 All the way

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 09:57:51 am »

I think you've just saved me time it would take to read the rest of his stuff.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 09:59:43 am »
I have been doin my Cream Ale with no hops in the boil. All go in at flameout with a long whirlpool. Of course I am doing it wrong and there should be no bitterness acording to some.

Works for Pelican, huh?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2012, 11:45:18 am »
-1 All the way

You don't make beer because you enjoy it? Or you don't enjoy the beer you make?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2012, 11:46:35 am »

Works for Pelican, huh?

Inspired by Kiwanda Cream Ale for sure!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012, 11:54:17 am »

I do that with my Wits, but I don't remember why I started doing that. I probably heard about it somewhere and forgot.