Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question about decoction mashing  (Read 11435 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Question about decoction mashing
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:10:25 pm »
I plan on making a Munich Dunkel this weekend and lets just say the last time I made one it was missing that malty component that I taste in German Dunkels.  I did a single infusion mash @ 152.  My question is when doing a decoction mash do you let the decoction rest (in the 150's) or do you just bring it up to a boil for 10-15 minutes and add it to the main mash. Also, would it be better to do a double decoction?
Dan Chisholm

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Question about decoction mashing
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:24:47 pm »
I rest at 150 for about 5 min.

Try a single - see if it gives you what you're looking for. Take good notes. Try a double next time if you feel it needs more decoction voodoo.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 04:17:26 am »
What's your recipe and what yeast are you using? 

You shouldn't need a decoction to make a malty Dunkel.  A great German Munich Malt and/or Dark Munich and a yeast like 820/2206 or 2308/838 should do the job, or 2278 if you want to make a Czech Dunkel.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 05:01:21 am »
I agree with Malzig. Decoction does two things for sure: increase mash efficiency and wort clarity. If you want those two things, use a decoction mash. If you just want "MOAR MALTY" it's not likely a decoction mash will give you what you want, unless you think it will, then you'll see what you want to see in the finished beer.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 05:12:57 am »
I rest my decoctions at 156 for 15 minutes before heating to boiling.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 05:47:24 am »
Decoction mashing does a few things for you. It will improve efficiency and clarity, but will also develop color in your wort as well. When you are pulling a decoction, you are pulling a certain amount of enzymes out of the main mash. Because of this, I like to do a rest in the 158-162 range when pulling a decoction so that I can get the most out of those enzymes before they are denatured by boiling.

Using continental ingredients will give you the flavor you desire I think. Yeast is huge. I agree with malzig that WLP838 (Southern German Lager) has a great german flavor profile.

I love doing the Hochkurz Double Decoction. It is a good decoction schedule without spending the majority of  your brew day mashing. Best of luck to you on your next decoction brew day!
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 06:43:12 am »
+1 to trying a single decoction first.  Start at 146-148F, then pull a decoction, bring to boil for 15 minutes or so and return to try and hit 158-160F.  Sort of a single decoction Hochkurz.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 07:08:44 am »
I think everyone needs to sweat out a decoction on a hot summer day ;)

That said I would do as Dave recommends. I rest between 155 and 160 for 15 minutes before boiling as well. The longer you boil the decoction the more color and melanoidins you will develop. Ive done anywhere from 5 minutes on a Hefeweizen up to an hour on a DoppleBock. Up to you.

That said, I think you will eventually come to find that slightly modifying the malt profile(maybe a touch more munich in the base) and pitching the right yeast and fermenting and conditioning properly will give you the profile you're looking for without the decoction.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 07:15:19 am »

Amen to that. I did a triple decoction on a Doppelbock this year in that humid mid-day Virginia heat. I swear I could taste the work put into it!
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 07:17:01 am »

Amen to that. I did a triple decoction on a Doppelbock this year in that humid mid-day Virginia heat. I swear I could taste the work put into it!

You sure that wasnt the salt from your sweat  ;D

Last year I did a dopplebock and dunkel on the same day, both TRIPLE decocted in the middle of July. I said to myself last fall drinking the beers...Im an idiot, but the beers are good!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 07:21:01 am »
I'm trying to justify doing decoctions all the time. I love brewing German lagers, but damn it makes for such a long brew day.  But TWO triple decoctions in one day?? Holy sh*tballs.
Jesse

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 07:38:06 am »
I'm trying to justify doing decoctions all the time. I love brewing German lagers, but damn it makes for such a long brew day.  But TWO triple decoctions in one day?? Holy sh*tballs.

Like I said..I was an idiot. 15 hour brew day. I drank a lot that day haha.
Jason

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 08:00:21 am »
Last year I did a dopplebock and dunkel on the same day, both TRIPLE decocted in the middle of July. I said to myself last fall drinking the beers...Im an idiot, but the beers are good!

That is the brewers equivalent of storming the beach at Normandy in WWII! I salute you sir!
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 08:06:32 am »
I'm using 8.5 lbs Munich, .125 lb Carafa III, and Wyeast 2206.  I really want to experience a decoction mash and maybe I should ease into it with a single decoction.  I need to try things for myself to see if they are worth while.
Dan Chisholm

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 08:13:35 am »
I'm using 8.5 lbs Munich, .125 lb Carafa III, and Wyeast 2206.  I really want to experience a decoction mash and maybe I should ease into it with a single decoction.  I need to try things for myself to see if they are worth while.

I heard Kai say one time that if we didn't like the process of brewing, we would just go buy beer in the store and forget the hassle of homebrewing. I agree completely. So if you are really into brewing German Lagers with authentic brewing practices, decoction mashing will surely appeal to you.
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011