Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Some very basic kegging questions  (Read 6804 times)

Offline the_pig

• Cellarman
Some very basic kegging questions
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:40:29 am »
Hi Everyone:

I've been homebrewing for a while, but just discovered the AHA and I am a new member.  This is my first forum post.

I'm interested in getting some kegging equipment and trying that out (instead of bottling).  But I'm a little overwhelmed by the choices (pin locks, ball locks, etc.)  Is there a place on the AHA site that has some basic info./guidance for the "kegging curious."  (I may well have missed an obvious FAQ on this topic - if so, sorry!)

Otherwise, if any of you have the time, I would really appreciate any advice - i.e. which locking system is preferable?  what equipment is really necessary to start out?  where's the best place to get equipment? etc.

Thanks!

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
Re: Some very basic kegging questions
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 06:46:24 am »
First, welcome to the forum.  You've come to the right place.

Initial costs may scare you, but remember "Buy once, cry once."  Basic set up will be keg, picnic tap, CO2 bottle, regulator.  Pin lock (Coke keg) or ball lock (Pepsi), it doesnt matter.  If at all possble, choose one or the other so you don't have fitting issues.  If you do mix keg styles, my recommendation is to get fittings with the flare ends, not the hose barb ends.  Makes it easy for change out.   I have both style kegs, so I have flares on my fittings and hoses.  When buying used kegs, clean with PBW, replace the lid, post and diptube o-rings.  These should be available from your LHBS.  If you need bulk, the o-rings are also available from Mc Master-Carr (no affiliation).  A spare refrigerator will get you started with the above set up.  Check out the CO2 suppliers in your area.  Mine only does a bottle swap, so it may be more cost effective to buy the CO2 bottle from them and the rest from another source.  Statring out, get a 5# CO2,  however you may find that once you get into kegging a 20# is more cost effective.

Hope this helps get you statred. 
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 07:05:07 am »
Ball lock seems to be more popular, but I think this is mostly because that's what most people have - so that's what most people want. Neither works better than another, but if you have pin lock and your friends have ball lock it is harder to bring your keg to a party.

These days Pepsi ball lock kegs are getting scarce and more expensive. Pin lock kegs may cost 1/2 what a pepsi keg costs. There are also companies converting Coke (pin-lock) kegs from pin lock to ball lock to meet demand. The only difference is that Coke kegs are slightly shorter and fatter than Pepsi kegs.

Many shops sell through Amazon now. I've found really good deals on kegging supplies there.

Kegging is just so easy - imagine racking into your bottling bucket, but instead of bottling - you're done.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline the_pig

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:08:52 am »
Thanks for the replies (and the welcome!).  Good to know that while the pin and ball lock systems are incompatable, they are both good. 

I've seen several "complete" 5 gal. systems for sale online for approx. $180 which doesn't sound too bad.  I would have to locate a source for the co2, but I'm in a city so that shouldn't be too hard. 

Do you guys recommend starting out with a "complete" system (to make sure you have everything)?  Or would you simply pick up a keg and fill in the blanks?

Once again - thanks for the advice!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 10:21:46 am »
One note, the only incompatible pieces b/t ball and pin lock are the disconnects. All other parts (taps, tubes, etc) are the same.

I got a complete setup for 1 keg when I started, partly because it was a present and easier to tell family to get that one item than a bunch of components. It is good to start if you're not familiar because you get all the parts - no worries.  The price is OK campared to piecemeal, but probably not the absolute best you can do if you shop around.

Craigslist has some really good deals if you are patient.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:36:15 am »
Ron Price

Offline the_pig

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 02:14:05 pm »
Thanks again - great info.  The "Draft Beer Quality Manual" looks very interesting.  I will take a look through this evening.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 05:23:32 am »
I looked at the 'bodensatz' link and it is very thorough. Might I suggest your local home brew club for a hands on demo of a keg set up? Also, I second verifying that you can have your tank refilled vice traded before you buy a shiny new aluminum tank only to get an old banged up steel one in exchange. I have purchased from the following without complaint

http://stores.kegconnection.com/StoreFront.bok -for keg parts

https://coppertubingsales.com/storefront/index.php - for regulator
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline the_pig

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 08:34:14 am »
Wow - great info. - thanks.

I've read over the 'bodensatz' piece and will read it again.  Lots of info.

And thanks for the links to suppliers.  I agree with the local club suggestion.  I have sent them an e-mail asking to get on the distribution list for meeting times, and I hope to attend the next one.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 08:03:26 pm »
I get my CO2 re-filled at my local fire safety supply shop.  Same CO2 that they use in fire extinguishers and no issues with swapping tanks.  Might not seem like an obvious option which is why I'm mentioning it.

I have all ball locks.  Biggest problem for me when I started was getting enough beer line to balance the pressure from the keg.  I practically never bottle and when I do I bottle carbonated beer so no sediment on the bottom which is nice too.

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 09:09:11 am »
Here's my two cents.  I was in Rebel Brewer a few months ago, and one of the guys there told me that used ball locks are going to be out of existence to buy commercially.  Basically only new ball locks will be available soon.  How soon that is, I can't tell you.

I can tell you there's a reason they only sell pin lock to ball lock conversion kits for the posts.  Not the other way around! ::)

FWIW, I'm only buying new ball locks from here on out. 
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 10:32:56 am »
Here's my two cents.  I was in Rebel Brewer a few months ago, and one of the guys there told me that used ball locks are going to be out of existence to buy commercially.  Basically only new ball locks will be available soon.  How soon that is, I can't tell you.

"They" have been saying that for the last 10 years.  True, in that time the supply has tightened up and the price has risen, but as far as I can see the supply is still out there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 11:56:20 am »

Offline the_pig

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 10:45:10 am »
Thanks again to everyone - this is a lot of great info.  I will be shopping for some used kegs soon!