Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Temperature fluctuations - Bad or OK?  (Read 4307 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Temperature fluctuations - Bad or OK?
« on: July 29, 2012, 11:01:18 am »
I'm making an American Farmhouse tomorrow with WLP670 and I don't really have a great way to control temperatures.  I'm normally ferment ales at about 68F in my basement and that temp is quite steady and has never been a problem.
But, I'm trying to decide if this is too cool for this yeast.  My only other option is to ferment this in garage.
A quick check of the 14 day forecast shows an average of about 80 during the day with evening temps dropping to about 62.  Given that it's gonna be in the garage, the highs could be a bit more and the lows a bit less just because it's not sitting outside. 

So, is are these swings an issue with this style of beer?  I use WY3711 but only in the basement, I've never done it warmer and it's been fine but I have no base for comparison either.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Temperature fluctuations - Bad or OK?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 11:17:44 am »
I'd say 68* is too high for 3711. If you love fusels though, go nuts.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 04:06:42 pm »

Huh?
First, this is a question about WLP670.  I've done WY3711 at 68 many time, no fusels that I'm aware of.  Certainly can't taste any, no headaches, no complaints from anyone that's tried it.  Wyeast says 65-77 so I'm at the low end of their range too.  My thought was that in general Saison yeast were better for warmer fermentations.

But the question at hand is "Would WLP670 be better at 68 steady or fluctuating with daily highs and lows?"

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 06:09:12 pm »
From what I read and learned a steady temp is much better for yeast health than extreme swings,

This is science as Tubercle undersatnds it.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 08:12:10 pm »
Go for the 68f - the garage temps would be rough on the yeast.

Let us know how it turns out - just ordered some 670. Cant wait to try it!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:30:50 pm »
Went with the 68.  Not sure how to handle this yeast.  First time with Brett in the mix.  Not sure when to bottle it or if I should risk kegging it or not (worried about future Brett contamination).

Screwed up my recipe - did a double batch for both a Kolsch and the 670. Was going to take out 2L of wort and add 1 lb of sugar and add it to the saison but forgot (long story, busier day than I was expecting).

Just used 14 lbs Pils, 1 lb Munich, 1 lb wheat.  1 oz Magnum at 60 and 2 oz of Saaz at 10.
May add the lb of sugar tomorrow boiled in water or just forget it.  OG was 1.053 which is enough for me.

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 09:47:15 am »
Really? I did a French saison a couple months ago with 3711 and let it rise to about 78. I am really happy with the result.
Travis R.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 09:56:09 am »
Really? I did a French saison a couple months ago with 3711 and let it rise to about 78. I am really happy with the result.

Letting it rise to finish is fine, but you want to start in the low-mid 60s IMO.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 11:25:24 am »
If you're having trouble with it attenuating and finishing at your desired gravity you can always put it in your garage and let it warm up if need be.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.