Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using Ice to cool wort?  (Read 26996 times)

Offline slickdaddy420

• Cellarman
    • Slick's Brewing
Using Ice to cool wort?
« on: July 31, 2012, 09:43:07 am »
Simple question.

Besides contamination..... is there any other negative reason of adding a 10lb of ice to the 3gallon boiling wort to get it to pitching temps in under 5 minutes?
http://www.slicksbrewing.com/

Secondary - Imperial Coffee Stout
Primary - Rye IPA
Primary - Pinot Grigio

Braggot Secondary - Northern Brewer Braggot
Mead Secondary - Wildflower Mead

Wine Bottled - Cabernet Sauvignon

Bottles - Dead Ringer IPA, Caribou Slobber, Chinook IPA, Slick Dark Ale, PHAT Blonde Ale, Habanero IPA

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Using Ice to cool wort?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 10:09:30 am »
Just that it probably won't get as cool as you think. 3 gallons of water at 212F mixed with 2 gallons (16lbs) of ice at 32F would give you five gallons around 140F. Maybe a little cooler due to melting ice absorbing a lot of energy, but that's pretty high above pitching temps.  Might work well inconjuction with an icebath.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline slickdaddy420

• Cellarman
    • Slick's Brewing
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 10:40:03 am »
I do put it in water with some ice, but I would not call it an ice bath. My water is not very cold being in south FL. With the 10lb bag of ice, I get go from 200s to the 60s in about 5-10 minutes. I spray the unopened bag with StarSan and use a lid for the pot. I was just making sure there is not a weird chemical reaction from being too fast.

Primary - Rye IPA
Primary - Pinot Grigio

Bottles - Dead Ringer IPA, Caribou Slobber, Chinook IPA, Slick Dark Ale, PHAT Blonde Ale, Habanero IPA

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:42:05 am »
It does work? I guess my math was WAY off. I don't know any other reason not to.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 10:42:36 am »
I started out with Alton Browns homebrew episode and he uses ice as his top up water so I did to. If you buy bagged ice it was sent through a UV sterilizer before freezing so contamination is not much of an issue. and 2 gallons of ice will indeed chill the wort down quickly. I used to put ice in the funnel and drain the wort through it, top up the ice as it melts. worked well.

**EDIT** the internet is so cool. looks like 3 parts 200* liquid + 2 parts 32* ice results in 75* liquid
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:45:00 am by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:44:44 am »
I would use it IF you know that it comes from a reputable source.  Water or ice CAN be a source of contamination and/or off flavors in the finished beer. I've used filtered tap water and spring water to top up the fermenter on many beers with no issues.  I happen to have decent tap water and I make sure the chlorine has been stripped out before use.
Ron Price

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 10:45:41 am »
I started out with Alton Browns homebrew episode and he uses ice as his top up water so I did to. If you buy bagged ice it was sent through a UV sterilizer before freezing so contamination is not much of an issue. and 2 gallons of ice will indeed chill the wort down quickly. I used to put ice in the funnel and drain the wort through it, top up the ice as it melts. worked well.

I was wondering that. I figured with food safety these days that bagged ice would have to be treated somehow. If it they use chlorinated water though, bad juju.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 10:47:03 am »

I was wondering that. I figured with food safety these days that bagged ice would have to be treated somehow. If it they use chlorinated water though, bad juju.

good point. you would want to check that out
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 10:52:19 am »
It does work? I guess my math was WAY off. I don't know any other reason not to.

your math was correct if it was water at 32 degrees and not ice. ice absorbs has a specific heat that is absorbed in going from ice at 32 to water at 32.  in addition the ice is probably colder than 32.
Don AHA member

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 10:54:21 am »

your math was correct if it was water at 32 degrees and not ice. ice absorbs has a specific heat that is absorbed in going from ice at 32 to water at 32.  in addition the ice is probably colder than 32.

I knew that, I just didn't realize it would absorb that much heat.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline slickdaddy420

• Cellarman
    • Slick's Brewing
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 10:56:48 am »
thanks for the replies. I figured it was ok if I was a gambling man with contamination. I get my ice from the Publix grocery store ice freezer. I never felt it tasted chlorinated, but I never taste tested it for off flavors. :)

Primary - Rye IPA
Primary - Pinot Grigio

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 11:19:28 am »
One point of note - ice forms at 32 degrees F, but it doesn't stay there. The usual temp for most home freezers is 0F, so you can expect your ice to be closer to that temp range.

My practice is to use a water bath in my sink (I leave the water running and let it flow out and drain into the second basin) until my wort gets to around 100-120F, then drain the water and make an ice water bath. Once the wort gets to about 80 or so I add a frozen 20-ounce water bottle that has been sprayed down with Star-San right into the brew kettle. Each of these steps moves pretty quick, and I don't end up wasting any ice to cool something that could have been done just as easily with a water bath.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 11:55:58 am »
i fell your pain bro (original poster).  i took the temp of the water coming out of my hose solidly for over 5 minutes and it "got down" to 102.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline slickdaddy420

• Cellarman
    • Slick's Brewing
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 12:37:59 pm »
i fell your pain bro (original poster).  i took the temp of the water coming out of my hose solidly for over 5 minutes and it "got down" to 102.

HAHA exactly. I think it would be almost pointless to get an Immersion Chiller.....

Primary - Rye IPA
Primary - Pinot Grigio

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 01:16:24 pm »
One point of note - ice forms at 32 degrees F, but it doesn't stay there. The usual temp for most home freezers is 0F, so you can expect your ice to be closer to that temp range.

My practice is to use a water bath in my sink (I leave the water running and let it flow out and drain into the second basin) until my wort gets to around 100-120F, then drain the water and make an ice water bath. Once the wort gets to about 80 or so I add a frozen 20-ounce water bottle that has been sprayed down with Star-San right into the brew kettle. Each of these steps moves pretty quick, and I don't end up wasting any ice to cool something that could have been done just as easily with a water bath.

given that, and this neat little online calculator, 3 parts by weight water at 200 + 2 parts by weight of ice at 0 = 5 parts water at 62

**EDIT** Sorry forgot the link http://www.onlineconversion.com/mixing_water.htm
-A Einstein

- J Joyce