Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: freezer or fridge for temp control?  (Read 3174 times)

Offline darkerpower

• Cellarman
freezer or fridge for temp control?
« on: February 11, 2010, 08:49:27 am »
I'm looking to tackle temp control next and wondering if you guys (and girls) would recommend using a fridge or a freezer.  I generally brew two 5 gallon ag batches at a time and I don't think i could fit them both in a fridge, but lowering/raising the carboys out of the freezer doesn't sound very appealing.  I have a few buckets that would make that a bit easier, but still a bit unpleasant.

or would you recommend building a fermentation chamber?

thanks,
"yesterday I was so desperate for a beer that I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers"- Homer Simpson.

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
Re: freezer or fridge for temp control?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 09:16:19 am »
I brew with a few friends, and we are up to 3 fermentation cabinets (6, 8, and 10 carboy capacity).  We only need to keep the wort warm since we brew ales and mostly in the cooler months in the basement.  Just a basic plywood box with 1" pink foam insulation, a 110 volt thermostat and a couple light bulbs in the aluminum housings from clip on light fixtures.  Not sure what to do if you live in a warmer climate or brew lagers.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline darkerpower

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 09:35:32 am »
6/8/10 carboy capacity!  I'll need to remember that when swmbo or the roomates think i'm addicted to brewing.

I'm more worried about keeping the beer cold than I am about keeping it warm. 
"yesterday I was so desperate for a beer that I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers"- Homer Simpson.

Offline homebrewgamecock

• Cellarman
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 09:40:52 am »
Are you going to use it for fermentation or storing kegs?

Offline darkerpower

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 09:42:01 am »
fermentation, I have a chest freezer already for kegging.  Not pretty, just four picnic taps but it does the job for the time being. 

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 09:45:32 am »
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-brew-hauler.html

I tried one of these out and it makes moving a glass carboy in/out of a chest freezer quite a bit easier.

They're kind of a PITA to put on a full carboy in a freezer though if you only have one.

Offline homebrewgamecock

• Cellarman
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 09:57:42 am »
Currently I have a chest freezer for fermenting with a Johnson Controls unit for temp control.  The freezer is about 4 years old and no rust or moisture problems yet.  I also have one of these in there - http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWER_S_EDGE_SPACE_HEATER_P518C100.cfm

Offline james1116

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 05:31:45 pm »
I use a freezer for fermenting and I can't say enough about a brew hauler.  I now have 4 of them and lifting a carboy out of the freezer is a lot easier using one.

Offline mr_jeffers

• Cellarman
  • Saco, ME
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 06:00:21 pm »
I'm planning on using a freezer, because whether it's true or not, in my mind I would assume a freezer might be better insulated than a fridge.  I'm going to have to look into those carboy haulers.  $13.50 is cheap money compared to spending a few days laid up with a bum back.
Jeff Brown
Southern Maine Homebrewers

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 06:00:36 am »
Better Bottles aren't too bad for lifting in and out of a chest freezer.

I didn't really have a problem lifting the glass ones in the chest freezer either pre-brew-hauler but I like the brew hauler for safety.  If ones of those things broke half way into the freezer my hands and forearms wouldn't stand a chance.