Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Percentage of Members who only join for GABF?  (Read 2005 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Percentage of Members who only join for GABF?
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:44:55 pm »
I wonder what percentage of AHA membership joins in July just in advance of GABF for the sole purpose of buying tickets.  I mean if you're going to drop $250 per head on tickets, plus flights and hotels, what's another $38.  I'm not usually one to advocate raising prices, but I'd rather see the AHA membership costs go up, so that AHA members actually reflect homebrewers, not just people who want to power drink at GABF for a weekend.  Plus that way, the people who actually brew and appreciate craft beer, might have half a chance to get a ticket for members only...

Offline tmartinac

• 1st Kit
Re: Percentage of Members who only join for GABF?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 12:47:28 pm »
well, it sounds like you didn't even need that this year, if suspicions about not needing an ID to get into the mobile site are accurate.

Offline chaz

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 01:29:57 pm »
I've always wondered the number too, especially at NHC during the members meeting when they'd show the explosive growth of membership. It's great that the AHA is getting money through other ways and maybe it will inspire a few people to homebrew but I've always been curious on what percent aren't affiliated in any way.

In the past I thought you were allowed to join at the time of purchasing tickets, kind of like they'll tack on a membership if you don't have one when registering for NHC. This was the first time I think I'd seen a "you must be a member by July 27" though I have some vague recollection of some old rule that your membership had to be valid through the GABF dates at the time of ticket purchases.

well, it sounds like you didn't even need that this year, if suspicions about not needing an ID to get into the mobile site are accurate.

In the past I don't remember needing a member number buying on Ticketmaster, they cross referenced the purchaser name with their member list and contacted/canceled the tickets of those without. I'd imagine they might do that after the outcry.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 02:04:13 pm »
Why would AHA want to reduce it's membership numbers? Especially since those anyone who wants to "power drink" probably isn't concerned with what AHA does with their money.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 09:46:19 pm »
I did not join to go to the GABF.  why do you want to raise MY dues?

(member for 15 years)
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:05:42 pm »
I say whatever brings more money into the AHA the better.  So what if people pay for a membership only to get GABF tickets?  Maybe when zymurgy ends up in their inbox they open it up, do a bit of reading, and discover the passion we all enjoy.  If not, their money benefits us anyway.  I dealt w/ the error messages this morning on Ticketmaster and I still got my tickets.  I do however feel for the people that missed it.