Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Silica Gel  (Read 6087 times)

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Silica Gel
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:00:37 pm »
I know a lot of folks use Damp Rid in their keezers to absorb moisture. I also know they go through a lot of this stuff. I bought a 55 lb. pail of Silica Gel desiccant to construct some dehydrators for work and thought I might try this in my converted freezer to absorb moisture. Just pop it in the oven to regenerate when it gets saturated . . Anybody else use this? Any reason not to try? 
Just brew it...

Offline dontblake

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
    • Indian Peaks Alers
Re: Silica Gel
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 07:50:24 pm »
Sounds like a good idea.   Probably worth trying - I certainly can't think of any downsides.   And like you said, just dry out in a moderate oven when saturated.

Just be sure and "Do Not Eat"  ;D

Don Blake, Erie CO
Founder, Indian Peaks Alers
Grand Master BJCP Judge

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 08:24:12 pm »

Just be sure and "Do Not Eat"  ;D

There you go ruinin' all my fun!  ;D

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:19:57 pm »
Then Silica Gel it is!
Just brew it...

Offline geo1267

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:08:06 pm »
What humidity are you looking for? I know that people use kitty litter pearls for cigar humidors(unscented of course). Keeps the rel humidity at about 60 - 65% I don' t know if they can be dried in the oven but I know they are pretty cheap.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 05:47:00 am »
I'm not concerned about maintaining a certain relative humidity level. (lower is better, ya know ;)) I just want to stop the resulting condensation from pooling into puddles in the bottom of the freezer. Extracting as much moisture from the air as possible is the goal.
Just brew it...

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 06:36:14 am »
I've been using damp-rid for 2+ months and haven't had to change it out of my chest freezer yet.  Of course it is 45-50F in my basement right now and pretty dry.

I also remember Kai talking about regen-ing damp-rid in the oven.  Not sure if anyone has ever tried it.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 06:51:13 am »
I thought Damp Rid kind of dissolved as part of its hygroscopic action?? Maybe not.
Just brew it...

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 07:43:12 am »
I've been using damp-rid in my 'keezer' in my garage. I have to change it out every 2 months or so in TX heat. Just recently moved it inside and built a collar, hoping to cut down on the opening and closing of the lid.

I'm also adding two 120mm 12v PC fans to the inside to help air circulate inside, hoping to aid in evaporation.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 07:57:01 am »
That's what I thought . . you can't "Re-generate" Damp Rid . .

From the website:

How DampRid Works
When the white pellets are exposed to the air, they absorb excess moisture and dissolve into a brine (salt solution).  They won’t dry the air to a level that damages plants, animals or clothing. The formula is non-toxic, septic safe and friendly to the environment. It’s safe for home, family and pets and is easy to dispose of after use.

DampRid’s Moisture Absorbers absorb moisture in three phases.
Phase One:
Excess moisture is absorbed into the white calcium chloride crystals. The white crystals begin to harden and form a solid mass.  They have not yet dissolved.  You may see liquid dripping into the bottom chamber of the product at this stage.

Phase Two:
Excess moisture will most likely be dripping into the bottom of the product.  Approximately 1/2 to ¾’s of the white crystals will have dissolved.

Phase Three:
All the white crystals will have dissolved and the bottom of the product will be full of moisture.  You will still see a small line of yellow freshener beads in the top chamber of the Hanging Moisture Absorber.

Discard the DampRid product and replace with a new one.  For refillable products empty the collected liquid into the sink (with running water) or toilet and refill.
Just brew it...

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 08:04:28 am »
So from that what leads you to believe that you can't bake out the absorbed moisture leaving behind the DampRid crystals?

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 08:17:24 am »
Maybe the structure? It won't be pellets of calcium chloride after it's dried. . .maybe a powder? I don't know . . maybe you can try to re-use it.

$10 worth of electricity to slow bake $5 worth of Damp Rid.
Just brew it...

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 08:25:31 am »
I agree with you there although I don't think it would cost quite that much.

I don't know if it works and I don't plan on ever trying it.  It's alot easier to replace it.

Offline geo1267

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 08:59:01 pm »
I'm not concerned about maintaining a certain relative humidity level. (lower is better, ya know ;)) I just want to stop the resulting condensation from pooling into puddles in the bottom of the freezer. Extracting as much moisture from the air as possible is the goal.

This is the product I was talking about.

http://www.ultrapet.com/cats/trackless-litter-pearls

They are silica gel beads(just make sure you get unscented). A 7 lb bag is approx. $20. Cheaper than what I saw on other sites for bulk silica gel beads.