Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coffee and Stout  (Read 3382 times)

Offline slickdaddy420

• Cellarman
    • Slick's Brewing
Coffee and Stout
« on: August 01, 2012, 01:38:55 pm »
I read a few posts on other sites, but felt asking here would give me the answer I would prefer.

At what point do you add the coffee? 

Do you just brew coffee or just use ground coffee?

Is Chocolate similar timing? Use those "nibs"?
http://www.slicksbrewing.com/

Secondary - Imperial Coffee Stout
Primary - Rye IPA
Primary - Pinot Grigio

Braggot Secondary - Northern Brewer Braggot
Mead Secondary - Wildflower Mead

Wine Bottled - Cabernet Sauvignon

Bottles - Dead Ringer IPA, Caribou Slobber, Chinook IPA, Slick Dark Ale, PHAT Blonde Ale, Habanero IPA

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Coffee and Stout
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 02:27:29 pm »
I add coarsely cracked beans to the secondary for aroma and a bit of flavor and strong brewed coffee to taste at bottling.  I've found that I need to reduce the bittering hops to account for the bitterness from the coffee.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 02:34:55 pm »
Cold brewed coffee is the way to go.  Add about a quart of strong cold brewed coffee at bottling/kegging.  Gives you a nice coffee flavor.
Jesse

Offline slickdaddy420

• Cellarman
    • Slick's Brewing
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 02:47:42 pm »
ok cool. I am doing a 3 gallon batch later this month. :)
http://www.slicksbrewing.com/

Secondary - Imperial Coffee Stout
Primary - Rye IPA
Primary - Pinot Grigio

Braggot Secondary - Northern Brewer Braggot
Mead Secondary - Wildflower Mead

Wine Bottled - Cabernet Sauvignon

Bottles - Dead Ringer IPA, Caribou Slobber, Chinook IPA, Slick Dark Ale, PHAT Blonde Ale, Habanero IPA

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 02:55:26 pm »
 Same amount for a porter?  1 qt in 5 gals or so?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 02:57:16 pm »

We'd have to know your tastes.  The good thing about adding it late is that you can taste as you go.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 03:16:03 pm »

We'd have to know your tastes.  The good thing about adding it late is that you can taste as you go.

I add it at kegging.  A couple shots of espresso.  Taste, ponder, taste again.  Add more if necessary.

I've never done the cold brewed or the cracked beans.  Espresso has worked well so far, but I have no basis to compare to other options.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 04:54:55 pm »
I have added coffee 2 ways to my beer.

I did a robust porter where I added 1 shot of fresh espresso into each (16oz) bottle and racked beer right on top of it. This gave a strong flavor of coffee, and a decent amount of aroma.

In my Mocha Mild at NHC, I used 1 qt of boiled and cooled water with 1/4 cup of coffee grounds, and cold-steeped for approximately 24hrs. I filtered this mixture through a paper towel and added it to the keg. This had a slightly more restrained coffee flavor, with less bitterness. I didn't get much aroma at all.

Also in my Mocha Mild at NHC, I took 1/2 cup of vodka and poured it over 1/4 cup of cocoa nibs. I let it soak for close to a week, and added it into the keg. With this treatment (and I think it would work with coffee as well) I got a strong cocoa smell, but with very little cocoa flavor, just enough to balance the coffee and give me the "mocha" flavor I was looking for.

My Mild at NHC got a lot of compliments, especially for a 2.6% ABV Beer.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 09:50:14 am »
My coffee stout came out with just the right amount of coffee flavor.  I used the cold brew method.  I used six ounces (total) of freshly ground, non-flavored roasts of three different varieties (2 oz each).  Basically I boiled about 1.5 quarts spring water, then cooled and put in sanitized flask, added the coffee, covered and left in fridge for two days.  Then I strained it using a sanitized grain bag and added to the beer.  I didn't quite use all the liquid but that worked out fine because it came out pretty good, and perfect on the coffee aspect.  I realize this is not exact but something like this should work for you just fine.