Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stir plate wont mix a 5l. flask  (Read 7497 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Stir plate wont mix a 5l. flask
« on: July 17, 2012, 11:03:29 am »
Tried a larger magnet but i think the bottom is too thick. Thought about getting a Black Maxx but too $$s. any ideas?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Stir plate wont mix a 5l. flask
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 11:26:45 am »
what type of bar and what type of plate. How much volume did you have in the flask? Also do you know how many volts your stir plate is putting out. 6/9/12?
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline PSUhomebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 01:05:17 pm »
Most of the homebrew comercial stir plates use two small magnets that only hold a 1" bar well. Though a 1" bar will not stir 5l by any means.

Best option would be to look for a lab surplus stir/hot plate since they have an actual bar magnet and will work with bars from 2mm to 3inches. If that isn't possible you can build one using 2 bar magnets (think for expansion for larger bars) that will hold anything from 1inch to how ever big the bar magnets span.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 06:23:01 pm »
My stirplates are from http://www.stirstarters.com/.  1" stir bars handle a 4.5L starter in a 5L flash just fine.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 06:42:14 pm »
My stirplates are from http://www.stirstarters.com/.  1" stir bars handle a 4.5L starter in a 5L flash just fine.
These also use 2 small, but powerfull Neodynium magnets. Yeah, it can do a 5L starter. I know this works!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 06:45:39 am »
These also use 2 small, but powerfull Neodynium magnets. Yeah, it can do a 5L starter. I know this works!

I use the same stirplate, but have a hard time getting a dimple in a 4 L starter without throwing the 1" stir bar.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 07:53:53 am »

I use the same stirplate, but have a hard time getting a dimple in a 4 L starter without throwing the 1" stir bar.

I think it depends on the flasks you have.  The 5L ones I have luckily have a very flat bottom and I can usually take them almost all the way up to the highest speed without throwing them.

My 2L flask, on the other hand, has a very slight convex bottom and will easily throw the stir bar at anything over the very lowest speed.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Pi

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 02:20:18 pm »
I just got a stirstarter and this thing ROCKS. I can get a nice vortex using a 1" bar, but the larger bar wont work very well.
+1 to stirstarters.com

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 07:44:28 am »
I have one from stirstarters and to use it with a 5L flask I have to prop up the flask so the bar is on the side and not the center, because of the hump in the middle of the flask. I just use the stir bar that came with it.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline positiverpr

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 07:18:39 am »
if it wont get enough traction on the bar you can try taking the top off of the stirplate(if it has one) to get the magnet a little closer to the stir bar.

Offline Pi

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 08:31:15 am »
I have one from stirstarters and to use it with a 5L flask I have to prop up the flask so the bar is on the side and not the center, because of the hump in the middle of the flask. I just use the stir bar that came with it.
Anyone tried this with a carboy?