Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: MFB pilsner malts and DMS creation?  (Read 2305 times)

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
MFB pilsner malts and DMS creation?
« on: August 04, 2012, 10:50:09 am »
 howdy,

Trying to troubleshoot off flavors.  I am getting off aromas and flavors similar to van camps baked beans ???. - so vegatative may indicate DMS or what?

I bottle, 99% light colored belgian beers and saison, have temp control, have used tap, RO, or mix, Check ph, I use +50% Pils (MFB) and boil for 90min.

I have worked a lot of characteristis but not the Pils itself.  It does not seem that a certain well modified Pils would gernerate more DMS than others.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: MFB pilsner malts and DMS creation?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 10:51:13 am »
All I can tell ya is that I don't recall ever having a DMS problem when I used MFB pils.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: MFB pilsner malts and DMS creation?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 11:32:38 am »
Does the off-flavor/aroma get worse or better as the beer condition/ages?

When does it show up? Do you smell/taste in the hydro samples before/after conditioning? In the bottling bucket? Or just after opening bottles?

What does your bottling procedure look like?

Seemingly random questions, I know - but that kind of earthly flavor could be DMS, infection, autolysis, or vegetal flavors from trub/hops/etc. Knowing when/where may get us to how.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
MFB pilsner malts and DMS creation?
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 08:07:49 am »
may be dumb question but do you boil with the lid on or off? I can't see why you would pick up DMS otherwise according to your protocal.