Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Minimum kegs to pour @ club night?  (Read 5221 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Minimum kegs to pour @ club night?
« on: August 02, 2012, 07:32:57 am »
I heard there are a minimum # of kegs required to be able to pour @ keg night for the NHC. Is this correct? What's the minimum?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Minimum kegs to pour @ club night?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:36:05 am »
In the past, clubs were recommended to bring a minimum of 4 kegs. I imagine for someone overseas, they could make an exception.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 09:55:37 am »
In the past, clubs were recommended to bring a minimum of 4 kegs. I imagine for someone overseas, they could make an exception.

I'd hope so!  FWIW, our club took 36 kegs for club night and we weren't even close to the top numbers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 11:54:19 am »
How many of those did your club go through Denny?  Is 30 kegs overkill or is it what you need to survive the thirsty masses?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 12:07:37 pm »
Our Club had 8 taps at club night. We kicked 1 keg completely at club night (That was the Apple Pie beer that was hugely popular). Overall, I think we poured about 30 gallons or so, but we switched kegs out quite a bit. We did not have the benefit of a big name like Denny though. Although some people asked us where he was; Cascade Brewers Guild vs Cascade Brewers Society and whatnot. We had 20 or so Kegs at NHC, and I think we only fully kicked 4. I fought like hell to kick my keg, because the keg wasn't mine (You can ask Keith about that).

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 01:40:06 pm »
How many of those did your club go through Denny?  Is 30 kegs overkill or is it what you need to survive the thirsty masses?

We put on 12 at a time.  Some, like the Wee Shroomy, kicked.  Others didn't.  I'd say we emptied maybe 1/2 of them.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 02:21:21 pm »
How does a club go about pouring at club night?
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 02:34:54 pm »
Our Club had 8 taps at club night. We kicked 1 keg completely at club night (That was the Apple Pie beer that was hugely popular). Overall, I think we poured about 30 gallons or so, but we switched kegs out quite a bit. We did not have the benefit of a big name like Denny though. Although some people asked us where he was; Cascade Brewers Guild vs Cascade Brewers Society and whatnot. We had 20 or so Kegs at NHC, and I think we only fully kicked 4. I fought like hell to kick my keg, because the keg wasn't mine (You can ask Keith about that).
Ooohhhh, that apple pie beer was good.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 03:11:00 pm »
You could always put out a plea to a local club to take on a new member. Seems like there are some who will be involved on this board. Or maybe some club from Chicago could take you in.

The Michgan AHA members have joined together to get a booth in the last 2 NHCs. We had 6 clubs in the Michigan Coalition of Homebrewers at this years club night. The beers were shipped on one pallet out to Washington. Just saying this as a way for several clubs to pool resources and get a space at a conference far away.

As far as getting a space, there will be a call for clubs to participate go out several months in advance.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 03:13:18 pm »
How does a club go about pouring at club night?

Contact the club night organizer of the conference you want to participate in.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 04:14:23 pm »
I think the Falcons brought 30 some odd kegs and we burned 20+ of them. Oddly, we burned more on our hospitality suite shift (the last shift before the banquet) than at club night. We just turned and burned kegs rapidly.
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 10:14:53 pm »
Yeah, you rip through them in the hospitality suite because there are far fewer people pouring.  Just get in touch with the club night organizer Phil, they may be able to accommodate you somehow.  We had a booth in Seattle for unaffiliated brewers who wanted to pour.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 11:53:19 pm »
I think this is the first time I can remember that happening to us.. trust me, no complaints on my part. I was very happy to have fewer full kegs to have to sling around.
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 02:35:28 am »
So who is the club night organizer?

I would probably bring two kegs, or perhaps four if I can strap them together and call them a 'single bag.'. I'm working on a recipe using malt grown in the fields near me, hops grown in the chateau next door and wild yeast collected in october. Then aged on French oak.

For those of you who flew with your kegs, did you have to vent them all the way first? Would they keep a seal with no CO2 pressure?

We plan on flying in seating class "A," which is discounted first class (1300 per person as opposed to 980 per person for the super cheap seats, which seems like a deal to me) so I would hope that as a first class passenger I'd get a little leeway in what I bring onboard. But I dunno.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 10:24:51 am »
So who is the club night organizer?

I would probably bring two kegs, or perhaps four if I can strap them together and call them a 'single bag.'. I'm working on a recipe using malt grown in the fields near me, hops grown in the chateau next door and wild yeast collected in october. Then aged on French oak.

For those of you who flew with your kegs, did you have to vent them all the way first? Would they keep a seal with no CO2 pressure?

We plan on flying in seating class "A," which is discounted first class (1300 per person as opposed to 980 per person for the super cheap seats, which seems like a deal to me) so I would hope that as a first class passenger I'd get a little leeway in what I bring onboard. But I dunno.

Ron (Bluesman) is part of the Philly organizing committee.  Shoot him a PM for info.

www.dennybrew.com