Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Mead Questions  (Read 2938 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
First Mead Questions
« on: August 02, 2012, 11:10:56 am »
Started my first mead on Sunday.  15 lbs of wildflower honey, water, and 1/4 of the nutrients.  I rehydrated the yeast (71B-1122) according to package and I'm fermenting at 65 F.  I open and stir it twice a day, once in the morning and once at night.  I also add a 1/4 of the nutrients when I stir at night.  I currently have 1/4 left and from an interview with Curt Stock that I saw, he said the last 1/4 should be added when 2/3 fermentation was done. 

My question now is how many more days should I be stirring the mead to off gas the CO2?  Is there some unwritten rule or it is based on percentage of fermentation completed?  Should I be stirring it everyday still but maybe not as vigorously as I have been?

I have some madagascar vanilla beans soaking in vodka right now to dose the mead at bottling time.

Thanks!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
Re: First Mead Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 03:17:08 pm »
Not sure what my source is for this (NHC, podcast, mead induced dream?), but I of late degassing every day until about 50% fermentable consumed.  At that point you begin to worry about O2 doing harm.

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
Re: First Mead Questions
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 05:48:06 pm »
I basically follow the steps in the link nateo posted in another topic. Here is the link...
http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/presentations/2008/KrisEngland_NHC.pdf
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR