Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flaked Barley and Carbonation  (Read 2946 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Flaked Barley and Carbonation
« on: July 31, 2012, 07:54:09 am »
I've noticed that when I use flaked barley in my German Lagers, they do not carb very well.  I've had this latest one at 20psi and 40F for a couple of weeks and the carbonation is not nearly what it should be.  Any thoughts?  The regulator seems fine as I have not had this problem with other beers.  It seems only to happen when I use flaked barley.....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Flaked Barley and Carbonation
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 09:29:08 am »
Thats a strange one Dave!

Do you experience the issue when you use oats or something similar?  I can't really think of any reason flaked barley would create this issue. AFAIK the rate at which c02 is abosrbed into liquid is not dependent on protein levels or anything like that.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 09:34:59 am »

Do you experience the issue when you use oats or something similar?  I can't really think of any reason flaked barley would create this issue. AFAIK the rate at which c02 is abosrbed into liquid is not dependent on protein levels or anything like that.

It's totally wierd.  Can't figure it out and it makes no sense at all.  I have not used oats but have used flaked rice and corn without this issue. 

Dave Zach

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:18:56 am »
Very strange Dave. Flaked corn and rice have less protein than flaked barley but FWIW ive used flaked barley and oats and never had an issue carbonating. Im stumped!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 10:39:54 am »

I wonder about that. I have noticed that the plain water I keep in one keg carbes up faster than beer. Perhaps it's perception and expectation but it seems like a keg of water is fully carbed in about 3 days without shaking and beer takes more like a week. maybe viscosity?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 11:26:45 am »
I reckon viscosity certainly has something to do with it. But then again I carb 1.100 imperial stouts and 1.036 scottish ales the same way and dont have issues. This is a head shaker to me.
Jason

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 12:28:19 pm »
I know!   :o
Dave Zach

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Flaked Barley and Carbonation
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 05:19:21 am »
I think it is just coincidence, or something else coming into play. I used to make a dry stout w/flaked barley all the time and I never had this issue. How fullis the keg? If you have very little head space in the keg it will take longer to carbonate.