General Category > All Grain Brewing

Water to Grain Ratio

(1/5) > >>

dean:
I'm going back to a ratio closer to 1:1.  I know with a higher water to grain ratio you get higher efficiency but I like my beer a littl maltier and more mouthfeel.  Any thoughts on it?

denny:

--- Quote from: dean on February 12, 2010, 09:14:45 AM ---I'm going back to a ratio closer to 1:1.  I know with a higher water to grain ratio you get higher efficiency but I like my beer a littl maltier and more mouthfeel.  Any thoughts on it?

--- End quote ---

Why do you think that will make your beers maltier and give them more mouthfeel?  I certainly haven't found that to be the case.

dean:
All I can say is that I like the lower mash ratio in "most" beers except IPA's.  From batches made in the past, to me it seems a higher ratio is more grainy or harsh while a lower ratio seems to have a more mellow finish.  I'll definitely know after lowering it for the next few batches, and I'll do a few of the same recipes at a higher ratio just to prove it for myself. 

denny:

--- Quote from: dean on February 12, 2010, 09:36:35 AM ---All I can say is that I like the lower mash ratio in "most" beers except IPA's.  From batches made in the past, to me it seems a higher ratio is more grainy or harsh while a lower ratio seems to have a more mellow finish.  I'll definitely know after lowering it for the next few batches, and I'll do a few of the same recipes at a higher ratio just to prove it for myself. 

--- End quote ---

Well, testing for yourself is the only way to know.  Make 2 identical batches, changing only the ratio.  I gotta tell you, though, I haven't noticed that kind of effect in my beers.  I'm really digging the thinner ratio.

ndcube:
Do you use the same water?

Maybe there are more salts in the mash at the higher ratio affecting your pH more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version