Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help! Making an 8% stout today and my preboil gravy is only at 1.067!  (Read 1777 times)

Offline rjparjay

• 1st Kit
I'm aiming for 1.089. I'm about to add 2lbs of brown sugar to the boil, tell my why I shouldnt!  Will be adding it around 3:30 Central Time, today (9/16)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Help! Making an 8% stout today and my preboil gravy is only at 1.067!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 01:49:40 pm »
I'd probably add the sugar once fermentation is well underway, but I don't see a problem adding it to the boil. I like a well-attenuated beer.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 01:50:51 pm »
I usually get about 7 or 8 points difference between pre-boil gravity and post-boil gravity. So that would get you up to about 1.074. I think 1 pound would bring you up close to the desired original gravity, but it will change the nature of the beer.

What is most important to you about this beer? The original gravity, the abv, the final gravity?

Offline rjparjay

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 02:00:38 pm »
I usually get about 7 or 8 points difference between pre-boil gravity and post-boil gravity. So that would get you up to about 1.074. I think 1 pound would bring you up close to the desired original gravity, but it will change the nature of the beer.

What is most important to you about this beer? The original gravity, the abv, the final gravity?

I'd say the abv is more important to me. I'd realy like it to be at least at 8%. With my system I tend to only have a .005 point difference between preboil and postboil.

I think maybe I'll add 1lb now and if I need to I'll add another pound during the fermentation. What do you think?

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 02:13:33 pm »
I've never used brown sugar but it does have molasses in it.  The later in process you add it , the more likely it will alter the flavor.  I've used honey and white sugar early in the boil with little noticeable flavor difference but I did end up with some dry beer.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 02:15:50 pm »
Dryness/sweetness is more a function of actual attenuation vs possible attenuation. That's why you can have sweet Belgians in the single digits and dry stouts in the teens. Usually sugar will increase perceived dryness, but not necessarily in every case.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.