Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Efficiency Jump  (Read 1782 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Efficiency Jump
« on: February 08, 2010, 03:07:59 pm »
Wow!  I'm waiting for the sample to cool but using the hydrometer temperature correction calculator the sample from this batch hit 80% efficiency.  Thank you Kai and everybody that helped me understand and work with pH balance better.  I used acidified malt per Kai's calculator and my strip showed approximately 5.0 at mash temperature.    8)  We've dubbed it "Saints Ale".   ;D   

I forgot to add whirlflock again dammit...  the sample is very clear but its possible the temperature may have something to do with it at this point?

22 pound grain bill, 11 gallons, SG= 1.041 at 145 degrees (expecting 1.058 once cooled to 60*).  "Purdy" Golden-Yellow.   8)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Efficiency Jump
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 05:58:01 am »
Update, the OG is 1.054, only 74% efficiency, but that is still nearly a 10% jump compared to what I was getting here where we live now so I'm happier than a pig in mud.   ;D  I've got the 2nd stepup going with Denny's Fav 50, should be about 4B to 5B cells ready to pitch this afternoon, I decided not to split the batch with S-05.  Now if I don't have HSA from transferring the drained wort into the BK it will all be good (yeh, had that happen not long ago too.)  I can't wait for the weather to break so I can get my brew shed and stand finished. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Efficiency Jump
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:46:18 pm »
That's a good brewhouse eff. If it stays consistent per recipe and method then that's even better. :)

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis