Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Canning/Bottling in mason jars??  (Read 17016 times)

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
Canning/Bottling in mason jars??
« on: August 04, 2012, 09:29:27 pm »
Has anyone ever tried to bottle up some brew in mason jars? Do they have a pressure rating? I thought opening a jar of beer would have a good effect at a party! I keg, so I'd just be filling them like you would a growler. Thoughts??
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Canning/Bottling in mason jars??
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 10:32:07 pm »
Yes, I bottle in mason jars, but my beverage is not carbonated.   8)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 10:57:44 pm »
 ;D
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 11:17:17 pm »
I think it would be OK to fill up any mason jars with carbonated beer and transport. Slightly sketchy to carbonate in the mason jars.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 12:37:59 am »
It works fine. Fort George Brewing in Astoria uses half gallon mason jars as their growlers.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 06:50:36 am »
Mcmennamins provides mason jars in their hotel rooms too.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 10:36:03 am »
While it may be OK to put already carbed beer in Mason jars, I'd be wary of trying to "jar condition" with them.  I really doubt they can take the pressure.  If you do it, put them somewhere safe until you're sure I'm wrong!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 08:55:03 pm »
Mcmennamins provides mason jars in their hotel rooms too.
I've experienced this at one of their brew pubs in a 1 qt jar. I figured it was ok but wanted to check for opinions. I have no intention of carbonating in the mason jars. I'd carbonate in the keg and transport in the mason jars. I think its cool because you pop the lid and you have a pint in your hand! 6 pack of pints? Yes please!
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 08:54:26 am »
I did this a while ago and lost a lot of carbonation. But it was the first time I really tried to package from the keg so I likely did something wrong, left too much headspace or didn't carb the beer enough to start with. something, cause the comments at brew club were that it was a bit low on carbonation.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline harvey5

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 02:39:39 pm »
We have done quite a bit of testing of Mason jar lids for beer.  The lids seem to relieve pressure about where a well carbonated beer might be if it warmed just a bit.

Our interest is that we make a stainless growler that can accept a Mason jar lid which is OK for taking your beer straight home to consume.  Our growler's companion lid is tested at 4bar, so it is the best choice for seriously transporting beer.

Harvey harvey@thezythosproject.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 02:58:20 pm »
Mason jars are primarily designed to withstand a slight vacuum to ensure proper preservation of perisable food items.  The standard Ball jar lids are not designed to withstand any significant pressure but I've seen other designs that are capable.  It depends on the design and pressure rating of that particular design.
Ron Price

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 06:10:41 pm »
Canning jar related question here: I've got a couple yeast starters going in gallon jugs that I want to put away inthe fridge and not worry about for a while. Probably going to put them in jars but what's the best way to sterilize jars/lids? Just boil, cool and pour the yeast in? I obviously can't get the yeast hot enough to vacuum seal it.

Ideas?
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 08:30:11 pm »
Canning jar related question here: I've got a couple yeast starters going in gallon jugs that I want to put away inthe fridge and not worry about for a while. Probably going to put them in jars but what's the best way to sterilize jars/lids? Just boil, cool and pour the yeast in? I obviously can't get the yeast hot enough to vacuum seal it.

Ideas?
I boiled jars, rings and lids and then cooled them with the mouth down and did what you are talking about but I chickened out and left the lids just slightly loose so they wouldn't blow up in the fridge. Never done this with a finished starter though. Only with harvested yeast. Not sure about the viability of a finished starter held long term.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 12:24:03 pm »
I use 1/2 gal. plastic containers with snap on lids.  That way I don't have to worry about them bursting, which I've heard stories of with glass.  I simply sanitize them with StarSan.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 12:45:52 pm »

Ideas?

I used to keep yeast slurry in 1 pint mason jars and never had any problems with pressure.  Apparently sloppy sanitation some where along the line is why I stopped using them.  I got some bug in my yeast bank and had to pitch it all out.

I've never played with mason jars as growlers.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?