Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blew the lid on my fermenting bucket - is it salvageable?  (Read 6433 times)

Offline dllipe

• Cellarman
Blew the lid on my fermenting bucket - is it salvageable?
« on: August 07, 2012, 09:34:34 am »
Brewed a sweet stout on Saturday and used an airlock instead of a blow off tube which I should have know better not to do but anyway, came home yesterday and the lid was blown off.  I figure the top could not have been off more than 12 hrs.  The beer seemed to still be fermenting actively.  I put a clean/sanitized lid on top and sealed it back up.

Has this ever happened where the beer still turned out good or is the chance for contamination/oxidation too high?

Thanks.
I don't drink a lot but I do drink frequently.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Blew the lid on my fermenting bucket - is it salvageable?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 09:38:06 am »
If it was during active fermentation you should be fine.  RDWHAHB.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 09:46:26 am »
Don't worry. Open fermentation isn't the bugbear everyone thinks it is. I always just lay the lid on top of the bucket and no air-lock. Last batch the beer tried to crawl out of the fermenter but the lid just burped and some yeast flowed down the sides. No big deal except cleaning the fermenter will take a few minutes more.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dllipe

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 10:09:05 am »
Don't worry. Open fermentation isn't the bugbear everyone thinks it is. I always just lay the lid on top of the bucket and no air-lock. Last batch the beer tried to crawl out of the fermenter but the lid just burped and some yeast flowed down the sides. No big deal except cleaning the fermenter will take a few minutes more.

Cool.  That's good to know.  I guess it's similar concept when I see videos of brewers just placing foil over the tops of carboys during primary.

Do you leave the lid loose during the entire time in primary or do you tighten it down once primary has subsided?
I don't drink a lot but I do drink frequently.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 10:18:24 am »
I only tighten it down to move the fermenter. I go from primary straight to packaging unless parking beer in kegs.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:21:35 am »
I put a loose lid on my "open fermentations"(one of three of my fermenters is closed)...call it a dust cover.  It stays there until active fermentation has ceased (beer starts to clear) and I am either near an expected terminal (or it has been sitting at terminal for a day)
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:39:20 am »
I would prefer a blow off hose to an unsealed fermenter.  But do what works for you.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 02:00:09 pm »
I would prefer a blow off hose to an unsealed fermenter.  But do what works for you.

Dave

+1 - especially since I have sours/non-sours fermenting in and around the same area.

Plus - if your blowoff is sanitized, you're basically top-cropping and can re-pitch the yeast.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/