Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: best way to dry hop  (Read 7475 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
best way to dry hop
« on: August 06, 2012, 10:16:11 pm »
So I will dry hopping an ESB and an IPA soon (my first time doing this). I'm using pellets in a carboy. I was thinking of putting them a muslin sock and tying a couple of strings of dental floss to spend them and make it easier to get them back out. My other idea it just drop them in the primary carboy and then rack to secondary right before bottling and then remove the hops with everything else. anybody have a suggestion on which method i should use or other one i didn't mention?

Thanks
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: best way to dry hop
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 11:08:39 pm »
I just drop my pellets into the primary, no secondary and no bags.  I leave my dry hops in for about 7 days then keg.  The hops will eventually drop to the bottom.  My beers come out clear and tasty.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:11:58 pm »
I just drop my pellets into the primary, no secondary and no bags.  I leave my dry hops in for about 7 days then keg.  The hops will eventually drop to the bottom.  My beers come out clear and tasty.

I do the same thing. I do have a stainless screen I wrap around my racking cane to keep the hop particle transfer to a minimum. I leave the hops in for 5-7 days.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 11:34:48 pm »
Ok i do have a plastic "screen" on the bottom of my racking cane, that i guess would act as a filter.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 12:23:31 am »
I just dump pellets into the secondary.  The first time I did this the dissolved hop detritus wasn't settling and a friend told me to give the carboy a shake once a day to get the hop debris to settle.All I do us barely tilt the secondary once a day and it helps the debris settle over a week or so.  So if you are afraid of oxidation like I was there is no actual shaking involved.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 05:38:59 am »
I just chuck them in the primary as-is. I line my bottling bucket with a paint strainer bag to filter out any schwag as I rack into it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 05:53:53 am »

same here.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 08:15:29 am »
After multiple methods over multiple batches I am now just dropping pellets into primary and leaving them for about a week.  there's enough other gunk in there that a few ounces of hops doesn't make any difference, especially since they settle (just like the rest of the gunk).  If you are careful when you rack to the bottling bucket/carboy you won't get hardly any of this stuff into the final beer.  I haven't even been using a screen for my siphon, just carefully holding it in place, and I get almost no debris into my beer.  They are coming out pretty clear too. 

Note: I do tilt the bucket and put one side on a book, then let it settle a few hours before I bottle.  This allows me to maximize beer transfer and minimize waste.  I hold the racking cane in place to ensure I don't suck up trub. 

Offline slickdaddy420

• Cellarman
    • Slick's Brewing
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 08:51:33 am »
I do the same thing. I do have a stainless screen I wrap around my racking cane to keep the hop particle transfer to a minimum. I leave the hops in for 5-7 days.

I made something like this also.

One thing I have noticed, is that most of the stuff that does not drop out of the beer will slowly stick to the side of the carboy. I just put the siphon cane in the middle and by the bottom the stuff I was worried about seems to be stuck to the sides. I have not seen any hops flakes in the 30 beers I have drank so far.
http://www.slicksbrewing.com/

Secondary - Imperial Coffee Stout
Primary - Rye IPA
Primary - Pinot Grigio

Braggot Secondary - Northern Brewer Braggot
Mead Secondary - Wildflower Mead

Wine Bottled - Cabernet Sauvignon

Bottles - Dead Ringer IPA, Caribou Slobber, Chinook IPA, Slick Dark Ale, PHAT Blonde Ale, Habanero IPA

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 03:43:09 pm »
I took Tasty McDole and Jamil's lead by dry hopping (pellets) near the end of fermentation, no bags/sacks.  Tasty uses a conical however, so he is able to dump his trub from primary; Jamil, I believe, dry hops in secondary.  I've been dry hopping in primary, although I think I would dry hop in secondary if I was reusing the yeast from primary.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 04:41:04 pm »
I like to keg-hop. Usually I'll use little muslin bouquet-garni bags and they stay in until the keg kicks.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 11:10:48 am »
I like to keg-hop. Usually I'll use little muslin bouquet-garni bags and they stay in until the keg kicks.

I do this - but I tie them to a (unusued) fishing bobber with fishing line so I can pull them out if it starts to get grassy/vegetal.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 12:38:53 pm »

I do this - but I tie them to a (unusued) fishing bobber with fishing line so I can pull them out if it starts to get grassy/vegetal.

I just tie the bag off to the gas-in post when I do this.
Clint
Wort Hogs