Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: More craft breweries now than in 1890  (Read 10287 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
More craft breweries now than in 1890
« on: August 07, 2012, 09:21:28 am »
Pretty cool graph. Obviously this explosion can't continue, there are only so many taps!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/06/us-craft-beer-breweries-growing_n_1748520.html

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: More craft breweries now than in 1890
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 09:53:26 am »
Not to mention that our population has quintupled since 1890? So we still aren't putting it away like our forefathers.

But it is heartening. I like most of the breweries on the slideshow except Magic Hat. Can't stand their weirdly flavored beer. Regardless, I wish everyone continued success and increasing profits
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Titanium Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • Westchester, CA
    • The Peoples Republic of the Garage™
AHA #210799

My wife said I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 04:28:42 pm »
People drank way too much in the 19th century. Prohibition was rooted in some serious concerns for society. Average consumption was equivalent to 1.7 bottles of hard liquor a week, about three times as much as we drink today.

I agree about Magic Hat being supremely disappointing. Their "Not quite pale ale" was so fantastically disappointing. It was like a bad imitation of Pyramid's apricot ale. I believe any beer with fruit extract added to it should clearly state so on the bottle.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 07:03:13 am »
The population of the US was about 63 million in 1890. Since there were 2,011 breweries in 1890, that meant there was 1 brewery for every 31,000 people. With todays population being 312 million, each brewery is supporting about 146,000 people. I suppose most of that is supplied by the big 3 though. We still have room to grow even if we don't party like its 1899.  :D

Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:29:16 am »
I agree about Magic Hat being supremely disappointing. Their "Not quite pale ale" was so fantastically disappointing. It was like a bad imitation of Pyramid's apricot ale. I believe any beer with fruit extract added to it should clearly state so on the bottle.

I used to be a fan of Magic Hat a long time ago, but it seems like their quality has gone down. I know they were bought not that long ago, but IMO the quality wasn't that good before they were bought.   Didn't they buy Pyramid or are owned by the same owner? They did brew a colaboration beer, a Gose, for the Vermont Beer fest with Trapps lodge that was really good.
Mark

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 08:47:03 am »
I have to say I'm surprised to see Magic Hat so far up on the list.

I like their beer a couple years ago when I first came across it.  Maybe just because it was different, I don't know.  The last six-pack I had was pretty rough, though.  There's a bottle or two left somewhere in the basement.

Bell's, on the other hand, does not last in my house.  Maybe my favorite brewery.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 08:49:52 am »

I used to be a fan of Magic Hat a long time ago, but it seems like their quality has gone down. I know they were bought not that long ago, but IMO the quality wasn't that good before they were bought.   Didn't they buy Pyramid or are owned by the same owner? They did brew a colaboration beer, a Gose, for the Vermont Beer fest with Trapps lodge that was really good.

I would have liked to taste that. Trapp Family Lodge is doing some really nice traditional german beers with local ingredients. amazing place to sit on the deck and drink a beer to, overlooking the mad river valley.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 09:12:43 am »

Bell's, on the other hand, does not last in my house.  Maybe my favorite brewery.

Just got a six pack of Bell's Two Hearted the other day and while it is not horrible I don't really enjoy it. I haven't enjoyed a Two Hearted in a while. Seems like the quality has slipped there. Either that or they are expanding too far out from their local and the freshness is biting them in the ass.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 10:01:05 am »

Just got a six pack of Bell's Two Hearted the other day and while it is not horrible I don't really enjoy it. I haven't enjoyed a Two Hearted in a while. Seems like the quality has slipped there. Either that or they are expanding too far out from their local and the freshness is biting them in the ass.

I tend to go for their Third Coast Old Ale, Expedition Stout, and pretty much any stout they make.  Hoppy beers are not my thing.  It may be that expansion is straining them, however.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 10:16:21 am »
I would have liked to taste that. Trapp Family Lodge is doing some really nice traditional german beers with local ingredients. amazing place to sit on the deck and drink a beer to, overlooking the mad river valley.
I remember going there as a kid to go skiiing and it really was amazing.  Last year at the brewers fest they had a "Session Rauchbier" that I thought was really good. They werent going to bring it, but changed their minds and I'm glad they did.  Would love to go there now. 
Mark

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 12:12:31 pm »
Pretty cool graph. Obviously this explosion can't continue, there are only so many taps!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/06/us-craft-beer-breweries-growing_n_1748520.html

Either they will run out of places to put sell the product, or run out of raw materials.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 12:30:10 pm »

I've noticed that if I grab a sixer that was bottled more than a couple months ago, it's not as good as it should be. On tap at the eccentric cafe, it's awesome. Check the bottle date and see how old it is.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 01:02:00 pm »

I don't know, there are a LOT of BMC taps out there.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

narvin

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 04:57:01 pm »
It was like a bad imitation of Pyramid's apricot ale.

So.... It was good?  :D