Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stay off my f'ing driveway!  (Read 58317 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Stay off my f'ing driveway!
« on: August 08, 2012, 02:33:41 pm »
Guess I'm getting old. 8)

I've been living in this house for four years. I have witnessed many thousands of drivers use my poor driveway as a turn-around for any variety of vehicles frequently including some heavy trucks. My neighbors I can tolerate but the 10-15 vehicles day and night that whip into my driveway, back out and drive off the way they were going has me at the end of my wits.

The drive way is ruined and I can't afford to replace it right now. And if I did it would be reduced in short order by the constant traffic. >:(

For the first six months I stacked a couple rock cairns about 2' high blocking access with just enough room for my VW to squeeze by. I'd come home to rocks knocked off the tops daily but got little satisfaction from imagining their scratched bumpers. Then I decided this made me look like I was a crazy person so got rid of the rocks. I also tried positioning the flood lights right into the windshields so the glare would be a deterrent. This has been unsuccessful.

Short of a gate- which would look odd as I have no fence what can be done to stop this constant traffic? I know you are a clever enterprising bunch. Any thoughts and suggestions that would help my situation?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Stay off my f'ing driveway!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 02:37:35 pm »
pit trap. Definitely pit trap.

About 7 or 8 feet deep, cover it with a garage door reinforced to be strong enough for you car. when you need to use the drive way close it and drive over, the rest of the time keep it open and if anyone tries to use your drive way they will just fall in. Then work out a kick back deal with the local tow guys and you might even make a few bucks!  ;D

seriously though, have you tried a sign? Maybe a couple posts with a chain across?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 02:41:02 pm »
Retractable spike strip?  ::)

Are you at the end of a dead end street Euge?

Why does everyone use your driveway?

I know, get one of those sprinklers that are activated by an optic sensor and hope you catch a convertable AND you could "treat" your water in various ways to make it less benign.

Damn I love plotting spiteful retribution of inconsideration.   ;D
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 02:46:16 pm »
How about a sign?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 02:47:25 pm »
How about some orange traffic cones?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 02:47:46 pm »
Hahaha!

I am the third house on the left. The street is not a dead end. For some reason it is inviting for divers to pull into.

The chain is a decent idea. Two 4x4 posts st in the ground with a chain stretched across? Man I'd love it when they drove into that at night! ;D

I was considering a sign in the vein of a political campaign... I want a definite no if's and's or but's deterrent!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:59:44 pm »
I think if you did the chain, which is not a bad idea, it would be wise to put reflectors on it and perhaps a sign that says "private property."
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 03:10:17 pm »
Sink a couple of 6" metal fence posts in concrete and stretch a heavy chain across the driveway.  Be sure that the chain is highly visibilty.

I know from experience that truck drivers do not care what they drive over and destroy.  They will only avoid driving over something if it will damage their truck.

One water system I operate has valves in a valve vault in the ground on a street corner where dump trucks drive a lot.  The dump trucks were constantly driving over the vault and smashing it.  I installed 5 concrete filled steel bollards on the corner.  The bollards are immoveable.  Several truck drivers have damaged their trucks trying to run over the bollards.    The truck drivers do not cut the corner anymore.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Stay off my f'ing driveway!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 03:32:54 pm »
How about a toll booth? Sounds like, what with thousands of drivers turning around, you could pay for a new driveway in no time. 8)

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 03:36:56 pm »
You mean like this!?

VESTIL Steel Bollards - Pour in Place Model - Yellow

or maybe this?
Safety Steel Bollard With Chain Slots 48" x 4.5" Yellow

That's giving me some ideas. I could even put some solar lights on top of each post!

How about a toll booth? Sounds like, what with thousands of drivers turning around, you could pay for a new driveway in no time. 8)

Then I could sit back, drink beer and not have to work! ;D

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 03:39:01 pm »
Get some of them big steel poles that retract in the ground, like they have to rout traffic in the UK. Someone unwanted drives in, poles shoot up, and their car teeters there. Expensive as crap? Yes. Hilarious? YES!!!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 03:48:15 pm »
Steel posts with "Police - Crime Scene - Do not cross" tape stretched across the drive.  Make sure to paint body outlines on the drive near the street and scatter some pieces of red and yellow plastic around. 

It might them wonder if it was their car?   :)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 06:44:53 pm »
how about parking your car at the farthest part of the driveway, where your back bumper would be even with the street.  Seems that would be an effective deterrent. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 06:53:49 pm »
how about parking your car at the farthest part of the driveway, where your back bumper would be even with the street.  Seems that would be an effective deterrent.

Believe me I've considered this^^^! However the reason I bought a house with a garage is so that I could park my cars in there. No break-ins. No sun damage. ;)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 06:57:37 pm »
Another idea is to install a gate.  A large chain would be cheaper and serve the purpose as well.  A sign is the cheapest and easiest but wouldn't be nearly as effective.  I was going to suggest a spiked strip but then you'll have even more problems.  ;D
Ron Price