Author Topic: Stay off my f'ing driveway!  (Read 15308 times)

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Stay off my f'ing driveway!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 06:09:38 PM »
Maybe you could commission some 3D art for your driveway:

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
    • AleForce1
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 06:57:29 PM »
Maybe a sign that sign that says "Watch for broken Glass and nails on right" (or left) or " SORRY Not Responsible for Flat Tires" next to your driveway.... Or "U-Turn Next Right"...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:05:44 PM by AleForce »
Off We Go Into The Wild Brew Yonder!

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Mecca, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 07:07:18 PM »
Rig some hidden loudspeakers to blast the sound of a few AK-47's. Much cheaper than my last idea, and just as hilarious.

Or, how bout a sign that reads exactly the same as the title of your post?  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 07:07:54 PM »
Maybe a sign that sign that says "Watch for broken Glass and nails on right" (or left) or " SORRY Not Responsible for Flat Tires" next to your driveway....

oooh. That is a good one!

I was thinking about scattering some caltrops... ;)

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 07:08:24 PM »
Maybe you could commission some 3D art for your driveway:

Dude i got vertigo looking at that! +!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 07:10:54 PM »
Or, how bout a sign that reads exactly the same as the title of your post?  ;D

Dude I'm thinking about that sign hanging from a chain. Might say several things!

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
    • AleForce1
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 07:24:25 PM »
Or a sign that says "Private Drive Protected By The 2nd Amendment!"
Off We Go Into The Wild Brew Yonder!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 07:30:51 PM »
You need to be careful, after all, they know where you live.  Keep it civil.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 07:32:38 PM »
You need to be careful, after all, they know where you live.  Keep it civil.

That's right. The lynch pin of this whole conundrum. :o

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • View Profile
    • My Job
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 01:06:19 AM »
A pressure-sensitive plate buried in the driveway that triggers after 1 ton a focused electromagnetic burst, disabling the truck.

Or what about a really deep narrow ditch? You can put up some panels of OSB or something to drive over when you get home, and then take it back.

Of course the solution that would work for everybody, and look really nice as a bonus, would be to redo the driveway with pavers. If one breaks you can replace it fairly easily, as opposed to having to pour a huge concrete patch.

One final option, which might work best of all, here in France a lot of driveways are demarcated by two brick pillars, one on either side. For cars bigger than a certain width you just can't get through without scraping. You can put a couple plants or lights on top, and voila a solution that looks nicer than a couple tank traps. You might want to set up a surveillance camera facing the driveway so in case a truck decides to test it (and subsequently knocks over the bricks, damaging a part of your house) you can capture the license plate info and call the cops on 'em.

I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline piszkiewiczp

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 05:38:04 AM »
There is one potential reality check on any construction plans. Whoever owns the street, city, county, state, etc, usually owns a right-of-way on either side. Your catch-22 here is that you are responsible for the upkeep, but the may object to any large structures being placed near the street.

That said, if you're old enough to remember when gas stations were not all self-serve, they all had pneumatic rubber hoses laid across the driveways to trigger bells. This would alert the "friendly & curtious" attendent to run out and pump your gas. This old tech could be used to trigger some other effects like strobes or sirens.

Alternatively, how about a large and imposing object at that isn't? I'm thinking of an inflatible Jersey barrier or K-rail. You see these as traffic barriers on road construction all the time. Most are solid concrete and weigh a ton. I've seen some made of plastic that are filled with water. Empty plastic or an air filled thick vinyl equivalent may be more than a driver is willing to risk.

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 06:26:52 AM »
+1 To Phil's suggestion about the brick structures, with this addendum.  The pillar on the right would be built on a 1" treated wood pallet.  Not really movable but not really permanent either, unless you bolt it to the driveway.  Either way, if the city decides to exercise their right of way, you can move it with an appliance type hand truck.

The pillar on the the right is built on a furniture dolly.  Easily movable if you WANTED a big car or truck in your driveway.  You could then mount signs, chains, etc. on your dandy new yard deco to your hearts content.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 06:38:53 AM »
If I put posts in they'll have to be a foot or so back from the side-walk. Was thinking about finding a traffic cone to put right in between the entrance but some kid will certainly steal it. So then the thought of those orange home-depot buckets came to mind. Cheap- less than $5 and I have some gravel I can fill the bucket to hold a 1x2 with a sign tacked on it.

When the sign gets hit and knocked over all I'll need to do is set it upright and maybe scoop some gravel back into the bucket.

I want to be obtrusive enough to deter the vehicles pulling in but not to where it inconveniences me.

And Phil- pavers or bricks are certainly the way to go. When it comes time I may just level the low spots with sand and place them right over the concrete myself.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 06:46:03 AM »
gun..................tower 8)  JK BTW
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 07:28:21 AM »
A moat.  Every castle needs a moat!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg