Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stay off my f'ing driveway!  (Read 58303 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Stay off my f'ing driveway!
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2012, 04:37:03 pm »
Go to a tag sale and find a kids bike or tricycle or small kid toys place at end of the driveway. No one wants to hit a kid and also might make them slow down.

That is an excellent idea!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2012, 05:47:25 pm »
I have the same thing happen to me. Apparantly GPS directions to somewhere is wrong or something and I get about 20 turnarounds everyday. About 10 times every night after dark and it drives the dog crazy because when the cars turn around the headlights flash through a big picture window into the den.

I made a cardboard sign and staked it at the edge of the drive: HEY YOU NO-DRIVING IDIOT: YOU MISSED YOUR TURN!

I took it down after a week because of all the horn blowing.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2012, 06:48:09 pm »
One of those neon green cutouts of a kid that say caution/slow children in place of your cone should do the trick. It shouldn't get run over like a cone. A couple trees or some shrubbery by the entrance of your driveway will make it less inviting also.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2012, 09:05:15 pm »
How are ya set for pant less sheet metal fabricators?  ;)

I've got this one. They're good.  ;D
  Ouch.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2012, 08:43:08 am »
So far the cone has done it's job. I saw someone yesterday start to whip in but stopped short of getting the wheels on the concrete.

And no horn-honking! But someone did a drive-by throw-out a bag of trash within 30 minutes of it being there. :-[
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2012, 07:44:41 am »
So far the cone has done it's job. I saw someone yesterday start to whip in but stopped short of getting the wheels on the concrete.

And no horn-honking! But someone did a drive-by throw-out a bag of trash within 30 minutes of it being there. :-[

Does anybody have respect for the privacy of others anymore? That's horrible. You're trying to keep people off your property and the disrespect you for it. I hardly ever turn around in driveways just because I know I don't care for it. I'll drive around the block first.

I feel for ya. I hope the cone works out in the end.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2012, 08:31:55 am »
! But someone did a drive-by throw-out a bag of trash within 30 minutes of it being there. :-[

i know this sounds bad, but as a teenager my brother threw his empty cans on nice lawns instead of over the railroad tracks like other kids.  i asked him why.  "because those people care about their property and i know they will pick it up and throw it away properly"  twisted logic.  now he gets pissed off if anyone doesn't follow the golf cart tracks properly on my moms farm.  go figure.
Don AHA member

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2012, 12:18:12 pm »
Does anybody have respect for the privacy of others anymore? That's horrible. You're trying to keep people off your property and the disrespect you for it. I hardly ever turn around in driveways just because I know I don't care for it. I'll drive around the block first.

If I have to turn around, I reverse and do a two-point turn.  It doesn't take as much road width to turn around (your steering wheels are behind - like on a fork lift) and often times the road is wide enough to do this kind of turn around without using anyone's driveway.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline mmalpacas1@yahoo.com

• 1st Kit
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2015, 07:06:16 am »
Guess I'm getting old. 8)

I've been living in this house for four years. I have witnessed many thousands of drivers use my poor driveway as a turn-around for any variety of vehicles frequently including some heavy trucks. My neighbors I can tolerate but the 10-15 vehicles day and night that whip into my driveway, back out and drive off the way they were going has me at the end of my wits.

The drive way is ruined and I can't afford to replace it right now. And if I did it would be reduced in short order by the constant traffic. >:(

For the first six months I stacked a couple rock cairns about 2' high blocking access with just enough room for my VW to squeeze by. I'd come home to rocks knocked off the tops daily but got little satisfaction from imagining their scratched bumpers. Then I decided this made me look like I was a crazy person so got rid of the rocks. I also tried positioning the flood lights right into the windshields so the glare would be a deterrent. This has been unsuccessful.

Short of a gate- which would look odd as I have no fence what can be done to stop this constant traffic? I know you are a clever enterprising bunch. Any thoughts and suggestions that would help my situation?
I have the same problem,not as many cars.Along with the damage comes the attitudes like I'm the bad guy.An obsessive search turned up a rubber item,"Drivewayspikes" .So far it's working when I'm home to watch my driveway.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2015, 10:29:05 am »
Euge,
Hi.... been a while.  Out here in BFE whyo....we have a device called a "cattleguard"
I know they are in your neck of the woods as well....install one and that could be the
foundation for your chain, or....remote controlled rolling spike strip or .....etc.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2015, 07:50:35 pm »
Old thread, old faces. makes me feel old.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2015, 01:44:26 pm »
On my third cone. Damn kids kept stealing the cone until I filled it with concrete. The was two years ago...

And Vert I'd like to get a cattle guard and an electric gate lol.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2015, 04:46:52 pm »
If you look at the dates of the posts on this thread its funny. I like it. Cool life cycle.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2015, 06:09:04 pm »
Makes me sad. A lot of these guys don't post here anymore...
Jesse

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2015, 06:45:30 pm »
Makes me sad. A lot of these guys don't post here anymore...

Homebrewers fall by the wayside. Raise one for them and yourselves!