Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Columbus hop / funk  (Read 3273 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Columbus hop / funk
« on: August 20, 2012, 05:40:14 pm »
I've used Columbus hops a lot.  However the last couple brews when I bitter with them, they give me a fruity-ish flavor that I really don't like at all.  I purchased two pounds last year and just recently opened the second pound.  It seems every beer that I use them in, I find a disagreeable taste in it.   I only use us-05 or nottingham in these beers and they ferment at app. 60 degrees.

Could there be something in the hops themselves that are causing this?
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Columbus hop / funk
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 05:45:25 pm »
I hear and feel your pain. Please feel free to send these disgusting offensive hops to me. I will make sure they are disposed of in a proper manner.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:11:46 am »
Hops are an Ag product, they can vary.  The terroir (ground) and the weather can make a big difference.  It seems you got a batch that isn't to your liking.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 06:42:58 am »
There is definitely batch to batch variation with hops. I find some Columbus has more citrus and some is more pungent/dank. The pound of Columbus pellets I got from Hops Direct earlier this year is possibly the best batch of hops I've ever used - amazingly dank and resinous.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 06:57:20 am »
The same hop can vary from farm to farm and between fields in the same farm.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:30:31 am »
Being a commodity hop, I find that it varies widely from supplier to supplier. And Columbus is especially prone to powdery mildew. I have heard a couple of pro brewerers state that they believe (their words, not mine) that we may see CTZ go away in the next decade because of it's susceptibility.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 08:45:41 am »
Being a commodity hop, I find that it varies widely from supplier to supplier. And Columbus is especially prone to powdery mildew. I have heard a couple of pro brewerers state that they believe (their words, not mine) that we may see CTZ go away in the next decade because of it's susceptibility.

The Stats for Washington state say CTZ has gone down ~1500 acres 2011 to 2012. Still a lot of it left.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 08:57:52 am »

The Stats for Washington state say CTZ has gone down ~1500 acres 2011 to 2012. Still a lot of it left.

I wonder if the fact that CTZ is primarily used as a bittering hop and its disease susceptability make it less attractive to growers than hops like Magnum?  Magnum is such a amazingly clean bittering hop from the few times I've sampled it.  It would be a shame to lose a hop like CTZ and its flavor and aroma character.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks