Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dark malt in saison  (Read 9774 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: dark malt in saison
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 08:01:27 am »
Well that could be as to why I liked the term dubbel for my strong dark saisons when I used a significant amount of special-B. If color is so insignificant to an established guideline for a "saison" then dryness vs sweetness is also in the gray area IMO. I can pick and choose too when terming my strong beer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 08:11:12 am »
Why not? I've had dome dry Dubbels...

I think dubbles should be pretty dry, but not peppery and I think of saison yeast as peppery.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 08:21:22 am »

I think dubbles should be pretty dry, but not peppery and I think of saison yeast as peppery.

That's a great point!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 10:59:18 am »

That's a great point!

The BJCP guidelines for dubbel say low-moderate phenolics, including peppery, are OK.  But saison also has citrusy esters, while dubbel has dark fruit esters.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
dark malt in saison
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 12:06:16 pm »
And the candi sugar! Or at least special B. That caramel raisin and dark fruit quality is what makes a dubbel, for me anyways. Saisons are dry and peppery and can have a citrus fruit quality like you said. But if you use a saison yeast on a dubbel recipe (with candi and/or special B) it will strongly resemble a dubbel. Hell, I made a doppelbock one time with generous amounts of special B and it resembled a dubbel.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 12:22:43 pm »
I think you guys are right. After all isn't a dark saison just a specialty ale anyway? ;D

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 12:57:31 pm »
There is a Zymurgy issue with lots of saison recipes, many dark. I think it is 1-2 years ago - might be on eZymurgy?

Drew did a pretty good article on Saison brewing last fall in Zymurgy.  It may have been the September/October issue.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 02:03:24 pm »
I brewed a Black Chocolate Saison recently with 1.5 lbs of Briess Blackprinz malt cold-steeped in 2 quarts of water for about 2 hours. I then boiled it for 10 minutes, dissolved 8 oz of bakers chocolate in it and then added to the fermenter with the main beer. It turned out black as night but still dry like a Sasion should be with a slight chocolate flavor but no roasty or coffee flavors. The rest of the grain bill was 20% Munich and the rest Pale Malt and about 10% sugar.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout