Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pressing asian pears  (Read 9668 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Pressing asian pears
« on: August 02, 2012, 09:00:15 pm »
A friend has an asian pear tree with fruit ready to harvest and wants to make perry.  I've made lots of cider from pressed juice, but I've never actually pressed fruit (apple or pear). Anyone have any advice to share?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Pressing asian pears
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 09:09:25 pm »
I love Perry. Have about six bottles in my "cellar".  My understanding is you make it just like cider. However, if there are any tricks to it I'd like to know as well.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 10:26:30 pm »
You need to grind them up first - do you have a plan for that?  I've seen a grinder made using a (new) garbage disposal.  http://www.whizbangcider.com/2009/01/whizbang-cider-photo-gallery.html

For pressing I use a fruit press, so unless you have access to one I can't really give useful advice.  My LHBS rents them out, but I use a little one that was my wife's grandfather's.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 07:06:58 am »
I'm borrowing a grinder and press from a friend.

I've heard that pears can be difficult to press because they are softer than apples. I looked in my cider book last night and it recommended pressing slightly underripe. Problem is that if they are too soft it is like pressing applesauce - just gums everything up and makes a mess. It also mentioned using rice hulls to help that.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 08:56:25 am »
Asian Pears are generally much firmer than European pears. I don't think you will have any issues treating them like apples.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 09:13:09 am »
I have been thinking of an asian perry for a while. keep us up to date on how it turns out!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 10:18:54 am »
I've got a real nice cider press (see pic) and have pressed a lot of apples from our trees.  We've got a pear tree and I've tried that a couple times with not so great results.  The pears basically clogged up the bag in the press part of the press.  I've learned that the key is to not let the pears get too ripe.  If they're still a bit underripe they're less mushy and don't clog the press.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 10:25:45 am »
I have seen perry recipes that have you crush the pears and do a primary fermentation on the whole fruit, like red wine, then rack off the remains for a secondary.

but yeah, I would think asian pears would not present the same clogging problem as european pears.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 10:26:39 am »
but yeah, I would think asian pears would not present the same clogging problem as european pears.

I don't think they would either, but I haven't tried them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 08:16:53 am »
We've got the press and we're pressing tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works out.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 07:40:00 am »
Well, we picked pears but did not press. They are sitting in buckets and ripening a little. Even the really ripe ones are still pretty firm. We have about 2 bushels, hopefully we'll be pressing this weekend.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 01:03:26 pm »
We got 5.5 gallons of juice from 2 bushels of asian pears. Similar yield to apples. Pictures to follow.
AHA Member since 2006