Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Now THAT's some fresh yeast  (Read 6175 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Now THAT's some fresh yeast
« on: August 09, 2012, 02:45:48 pm »
I've made a deal with my LHBS to buy 4 packs of 1056 each week, if I get the freshest stuff he has......

So yesterday I stop by to pick up this weeks yeast, and what's the date?  Aug072012

Wow.  No complaints there. 

But I wonder, how much does a week or two after packaging REALLY matter

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Now THAT's some fresh yeast
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 02:58:15 pm »
Great to live near Wyeast, huh?  I often get packs dated justv a day or 2 before I buy them.  But I doubt a week or so will make a lot of difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 03:16:32 pm »
Denny, do you order your yeast in advance to get fresher product?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 09:50:00 am »
Denny, do you order your yeast in advance to get fresher product?

Nope, I just pick it up at the Home Fermenter Center as needed.  Some varieties stick around longer, but ones like 1056 and a few others are always really fresh.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 02:21:45 pm »
Great to live near Wyeast, huh?  I often get packs dated justv a day or 2 before I buy them.  But I doubt a week or so will make a lot of difference.

Thought I would check Mr. Malty to see what the degradation rate is.  Seems it's programmed to lose 5% of viability per week......

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 07:55:02 pm »

Thought I would check Mr. Malty to see what the degradation rate is.  Seems it's programmed to lose 5% of viability per week.....

Dave
Really sucks, because I routinely get sent viles and packs of yeast that are a month or two old, some even older.  It makes me really wonder why I brew with liquid yeast sometimes.  Starters are fine to make, but I don't care much for having to step them up several times just to brew a beer that is 1.045 OG.
Jesse

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 04:51:46 am »
Beersk,

I don't think you have to steep up several times. A single step should be just fine if you are starting with a vial or pack.

Kai

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:23:21 am »
Great to live near Wyeast, huh?  I often get packs dated justv a day or 2 before I buy them. 
+11
Very fortunate indeed, I can often get yeast less than a week "old".  I usually go in with a few in mind and go with what is most fresh.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 09:20:59 am »
Beersk,

I don't think you have to steep up several times. A single step should be just fine if you are starting with a vial or pack.

Kai
For a several month old vial? 
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 10:08:47 am »
Beersk,

Kai

Don't know about vials, but it's fine with smack packs.  I just put  9 month old smackpack into a 2 qt. starter and it's fermenting away happily.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 10:16:33 am »
Beersk,

Kai

Even if the vial is at 25% viability you still have about 25 B cells in there and that is sufficient for a 2-3 qt starter.

Kai

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 11:52:59 am »
I'm sorry in advance if I am off-topic; if there's a better place please move me.
Anyway, I got a nice cake from an Oktoberfest; i was thinking about using for a Boh Pils. Just racked the beer off after 2 weeks of primary so i am guessing it's still pretty fresh. Probably wont brew for a couple days, so what's yer method for storing? I put about 500ml of the slurry in a flask and topped up to 1l. with water. Do you think i should add some wort to rev it up or direct pitch?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 12:05:47 pm »
I put the slurry in one of these jobs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-QT-Servin-Saver-Beverage-Bottle-1776348-Rubbermaid-/230717249593?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D330719125708%26ps%3D54

and then stick it in the fridge.  If you use it within two weeks, you can probably direct pitch it.  Longer than that you might want to make a starter.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 12:55:49 pm »
I put the slurry in one of these jobs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-QT-Servin-Saver-Beverage-Bottle-1776348-Rubbermaid-/230717249593?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D330719125708%26ps%3D54

and then stick it in the fridge.  If you use it within two weeks, you can probably direct pitch it.  Longer than that you might want to make a starter.

Ha!  I got one of those exact same containers from the grocery store on my way to a brewery for fresh yeast once.  I also store yeast in wide plastic jars, like the ones that mixed nuts come in.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 01:07:14 pm »
My LHBS sells extract in 1/2 gal. plastic containers with snap on lids.  I bought a few of them for about  buck apiece and store yeast in them.

www.dennybrew.com