Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Home made beer engines  (Read 2216 times)

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
Home made beer engines
« on: April 18, 2010, 05:13:37 pm »
Every now and again I get the inkling to make a homemade beer engine...

I never get around to it though.  I know how I would do it if I do. There are loads of great ideas out there usually built around a hand water pump for rv's.

Came across this.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicle-maintenance-accessories/fuel-handling/fuel-pumps-accessories/hand-pump-barrel-pump-lever-3957824

Delivers 1 pint per stroke.

It is highly doubtful that it is made of food safe materials sadly.  Otherwise It would be perfect!  I could even see modifying the pump handle to a nice pub style handle.

Well, just dreaming here.  One day I'll get around to it.   ;)

'Til then I return you to your regularly scheduled discussions.
Dave Brush

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Home made beer engines
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 08:28:36 pm »
I like the one pint per stroke. Stainless type material?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:24:29 am »
I like the one pint per stroke. Stainless type material?

No, I would imagine it is merely steel.  Its suggested use is for pumping petroleum type liquids.

I will go with the RV hand water pumps if and when I get to it.  This one just looks cooler and, well, delivers a pint per pump!

I guess if I want aesthetics I will have to fabricate my own out of Stainless some how.  Course that will end up costing more than a real beer engine...  So that defeats the purpose of making a homemade one.   ::)
Dave Brush

Offline lostralph

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 12:05:51 am »
Ok, I was curious and decided to do some poking around.  Found this for you to try, and it will even pump over a pint and a half :D.

http://www.ebkcontainers.com/products/Order.asp?PartNum=THP-ST&ProdID=262&Case=N
The High Plains Draughters - OKC