Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Rocket Randall and Grassy Flavors  (Read 7185 times)

Offline benamcg

• Cellarman
Hop Rocket Randall and Grassy Flavors
« on: August 06, 2012, 03:39:25 pm »
I recently purchased a Hop Rocket, and last night was my first attempt using it as a Randall.  I had an IPA, through which I filtered 2 oz of flowers (1 oz Citra, 1 oz Amarillo).  The first and last pints off the keg were incredibly grassy.  I doubt that it had to do with the hop varieties, but maybe a short contact time with the hops? I dont know- I am really disappointed since I bought the device for mainly Randall purposes.  Anybody have a remedy for this issue?  It seems most people's issues are with it are with foaming with seemingly no mention of grassiness.

I say the first and last pints off the keg were grassy because I had 2 pints last night and when I got home from work today I found my four kegs + 20 lbs CO2 tank floating in IPA.....before cleaning everything up, I drew one final grassy tasting pint of the keg. Everything seems to be hooked up properly, even the $30 I spent in Blichmann quick connects.  Seems to be leaking from the bottom clamp. ?  Huge kick to the nuts.  I hope that someone has the answer for how to avoid grassy-ness in the future.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Hop Rocket Randall and Grassy Flavors
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:11:22 am »
I don't own a Randall, but I've never had a Randall-hopped beer that was superior to the original. I find the affects to be overwhelmingly "grassy".

Maybe there's a technique to Randallize beer without this flavor, or maybe that's just the flavor you get...
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:23:50 am »
I don't own a Randall, but I've never had a Randall-hopped beer that was superior to the original. I find the affects to be overwhelmingly "grassy".

Maybe there's a technique to Randallize beer without this flavor, or maybe that's just the flavor you get...

I agree with your assessment.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 01:54:34 pm »

I agree with your assessment.

+1

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 02:32:47 pm »

Lately all the ones I've had are randalized with something other than hops - coffee beans, fruit, etc.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline benamcg

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 07:50:28 pm »
Given the limited responses (and thanks to those that did), maybe I should change my question to:

Is there anyone out that believes that they get anything other than a grassy flavor from their Randall?

If not, I believe that I will try it as a hop back and see what the effects are.  Seems that many posts are positive with regard to using the Rocket as a hop back (e.g. picking up hop aroma).  I am not concerned with filtering/clarify the beer since I have a hop sock like mesh screen in the kettle (pre Therminator).

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 08:03:48 pm »
My experience with dry hopping vs hop stand (i.e. long flame-out hop rest) is that dry hopping leads to a more grassy flavor. To extrapolate this to the Randall, I would think that a more grassy flavor would be typical for a Randall since it is similar to dry hopping.

Just to speculate here, I wonder what the average extraction times for various hop flavor components are. In the Randall, for example, the beer has a much shorter contact time with the hops compared to dry hopping. This should impact the flavor profile you are getting from both methods.

I think using it as a hop back is a great idea. You may want to play (in other words take notes) with the flow rate when you do this.

Kai

Offline Tim Thomssen

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 11:29:50 pm »
In my opinion, Randall's are serving gimmicks.
In my experience, Randall + cold beer = grassy flavors. 
Dry hopping cold = grassy flavors, although, they do condition out with enough time.
Dry hop warm = no grassy flavors, tasty and aromatic.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:37:03 am by Tim Thomssen »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 06:31:14 am »
Agree that they are mostly gimmicks but that said, you can have a good randall experience. The trick is to use a high gravity beer such as a IIPA. The higher alcohol level helps to dissolve and extract the acids. My 9% IIPA through the randall picks up an extra hop punch and the grassy flavors are subdued. That said, I probably prefer my IIPA fresh sans Randall treatment. But a few times when the beer was a little long in the tooth with the hop character somewhat faded the randall treatment perked it up nicely. And in those cases I much preferred the randalized beer over the straight IIPA. YMMV.

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 07:48:13 pm »
I use my Hop Rocket as a hop back and sometimes when I am transferring some beer from a five-gallon keg into a 2.5-gallon keg to take to a beer tasting.  I generally try and transfer the beer a few days in advance to let the hop flavor "settle".  I also like the fact it helps clear the beer a bit when it gets run through the hops.  I don't like the Hop Rocket as a randall though... too grassy.  But I do agree that it might be good for IIPAs given majorices' previous comment.

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 11:24:55 am »
I my opinion, Randall's are serving gimmicks.
I my experience, Randall + cold beer = grassy flavors. 
Dry hopping cold = grassy flavors, although, they do condition out with enough time.
Dry hop warm = no grassy flavors, tasty and aromatic.

Cheers!

I agree with Tim's assessment of Dry Hopping. I  find temp to be a much bigger factor in grassiness of dry hops than the oft-cited "too much contact time."