Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 16% Sweet Mead?  (Read 21280 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Re: 16% Sweet Mead?
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 12:14:10 pm »
My girlfriend LOVES it and wants to give bottles to all her co-workers. So, the 3 gallons will be half gone to others haha.

considering the price of honey, that's really generous of you.  I usually love to share but damn, sharing mead can get expensive.

anyway, congrats on your success.

cheers--
--Michael

+1 I'll share beer all the time, but the time and $$$ that goes into mead means it's staying in my cellar and you only get it if you're a guest.

Offline slickdaddy420

• Cellarman
    • Slick's Brewing
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 09:20:00 am »
If I did not add any priming sugar for a still mead, will bottling like beer be ok? It would be easier than wine bottles and corks for me.
http://www.slicksbrewing.com/

Secondary - Imperial Coffee Stout
Primary - Rye IPA
Primary - Pinot Grigio

Braggot Secondary - Northern Brewer Braggot
Mead Secondary - Wildflower Mead

Wine Bottled - Cabernet Sauvignon

Bottles - Dead Ringer IPA, Caribou Slobber, Chinook IPA, Slick Dark Ale, PHAT Blonde Ale, Habanero IPA

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 11:54:40 am »
since you're immediately giving half (or whatever amount) of it away, and those people will doubtless consume it quickly, and the remainder is a very small amount, I probably would use plain beer bottles and caps in this case too. 

I bought some of those clear 6.3oz bottles that take a regular crown cap for the purpose of giving out samples to people whom I'm not sure will like it.  Also useful for testing carb in young bottle conditioned beers without wasting too much of the precious.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 01:35:27 pm »
If I did not add any priming sugar for a still mead, will bottling like beer be ok? It would be easier than wine bottles and corks for me.

Bottled like beer is fine.  The bottles I make up for gifts I bottle in American Champagne (a misnomer by definition, but that's another story) bottles.  They accept crown caps and make a nice present.  They are also 750mL (25.4 oz.), so it's like giving away a couple of beer bottles though.  I make up custom labels for the gifts.  People really enjoy it.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907